Help IDing some old Hope hydraulics

zhang

Old School Hero
I've acquired an old unbranded Ti hardtail which I'm hoping to modernise slightly for commuting/light offroad duties. It's got a slightly unusual (a bodge?) setup of front and rear discs attached to the frame and forks without disc tabs. I've searched the forum a little and I think they look a bit like C2s, but the mounting system seems slightly unusual. I've attached some photos. Could anyone offer any insight into what they are?

Neither brake works very well at the moment as I think they need bleeding and new pads. Also, the rotors appear to be both 155mm, which I think commits me to keeping these Hope wheels with the 5-bolt hubs?

Thanks!

Re:

The front mount looks pretty standard Hope for that period, simple, but functional.
The rear with the jubilee clip seems a bit "heath Robinson", but has probably been like that for many years? Might even be an actual Hope mount of the period!
I'm no Hope expert, but they could be C2's, is that an adjuster on top (Silver cap on lever)? Or just the cap?

Plenty of Hope experts on here who should be able to confirm.

Re: Re:

jimo746":misc2qe9 said:
The front mount looks pretty standard Hope for that period, simple, but functional.
The rear with the jubilee clip seems a bit "heath Robinson", but has probably been like that for many years? Might even be an actual Hope mount of the period!
I'm no Hope expert, but they could be C2's, is that an adjuster on top (Silver cap on lever)? Or just the cap?

Plenty of Hope experts on here who should be able to confirm.

The silver cap is an adjuster, and is what made me think they were C2s, based on the pictures I've seen.

The previous owner said the bike itself was built up by Hope, so I think the rear brake mount has always been like that! I agree it does look a very functional bodge.

Re: Re:

jimo746":1dgip75i said:

Certainly was!

Think they were only to be used where the calliper was ‘trapped’ between the chain and seat stay (like yours).

I had one on my ATX 990 before getting a torsion bar attachment. The jubilee clip was fine unless you accidentally pulled the rear brake whilst rolling the bike backwards at any point...the jubilee would snap! :facepalm: :oops:
I still have one in the spares draw.

Re:

As these are closed systems they do suffer under heavy braking or hot weather (remember that?) due to the heat that's generated transferring to the system and expanding the oil and locking the pistons up. The adjusters can pop their circlip out that holds the thing in place too as a result of this. In my experience they are fantastic brakes if you got them working perfectly and your comfortable bleeding and maintaining them regularly.

Re:

Nothing too unusual or bodged here, and all period correct and designed to work as you have it...... :cool:

Hope C2's, Front is a caliper number 1 with Pace fork specific adaper (Should have a P engraved on the bolted on part below the caliper) Rear is a number 2 caliper for use on non disc frames, the banjo and little alloy retainer are standard to that caliper and would have been supplied by Hope.........

Your kind of all or nothing with the setup, personally I'd get the brakes bled and new pads installed and enjoy.......

Nice thing is whilst the mounting and caliper shapes are a little unusual, they use all the same parts as more common calipers such as number 3 and 5 so there's years of spares out there for them and these rarer setups hold their value well.......... :D

Latest posts

Back