Help identifying this frame

Re:

Any chance it could be a Mercian? Frame number fits their system, a frame popped up on a fb group with the number 1381 recently.

Re: Re:

AndyMart":11exjzz5 said:
Any chance it could be a Mercian? Frame number fits their system, a frame popped up on a fb group with the number 1381 recently.
It could be but I think 4 digit numbers were common in the 70's and early 80's. I also found this on Mercian frames:

"For instance 26876 would be the 268th frame built in 1976"

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... n_main.htm

Which doesn't really fit with 4 digit system.

Re:

Well yes it does because as I said a frame with the number 1381, meaning 13th frame of 1981 has just turned up! Might be worth giving mercian a call they have records back to 1970.

AndyMart":26vae315 said:
Well yes it does because as I said a frame with the number 1381, meaning 13th frame of 1981 has just turned up! Might be worth giving mercian a call they have records back to 1970.
Cinelli Super Corsa's used 4 digit frame numbering before 1981 so could be one of them too? Also wouldn't the example you gave have the number 01381 in order to fit with Mercians 5 digit system?

Cinelli Super Corsa had a particular style of seat cluster IIRC. I've lost track, did you measure the width of the BB shell / check the thread?

gvsykes":19fkgpol said:
AndyMart":19fkgpol said:
Cinelli Super Corsa's used 4 digit frame numbering before 1981 so could be one of them too? Also wouldn't the example you gave have the number 01381 in order to fit with Mercians 5 digit system?

As I said, Mercian 5 digit system is sometimes a 4 digit system! No 0 at the beginning if there was one I would of mentioned it!!!

It's not a cinelli. Sc used a different cluster with a unique bolt on every one I've seen. The cinelli bb's etc were used by plenty of builders.

AndyMart":194s8ltv said:
It's not a cinelli. Sc used a different cluster with a unique bolt on every one I've seen. The cinelli bb's etc were used by plenty of builders.
You’re missing the point. The fact that it is a 4 digit system is not unique to Mercian. I am not saying it’s a Cinelli but they also used 4 digits. So do a lot of other bike companies.

I don't know what it is. It's pretty generic with no distinctive features. The frame number could be numerous builders. Looks nicely made so hopefully it'll be a good reliable ride.

Back