Help identifying a Colnago MTB

rehy

Retro Newbie
This bike has a full XT with Colnago stickers all over it, however I couldn't find anywhere a catalog reference... could be fake.. perhaps someone here has an idea? Thanks!

Attachments

• colnago-01-web-750x492.jpg
    colnago-01-web-750x492.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 143
  • colnago-13-web-750x500.jpg
    colnago-13-web-750x500.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 140
  • colnago-17-web-750x499.jpg
    colnago-17-web-750x499.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 136
  • colnago-09-web-750x500.jpg
    colnago-09-web-750x500.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 143
Looks like a Maxim or something from that era (early nineties). Think it's a genuine Colnago.

This is mine

Attachments

• Maxim_1_LR.jpg
    Maxim_1_LR.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 109
Looks like a Maxim or something from that era (early nineties). Think it's a genuine Colnago.

This is mine
Hallo, I have just bought a rather 'plain' MTB which has the only identification of its Maker by the front forks having the word deep in the paint showing "MAXIM O/S"
In trying to make an identification, I have seen on the 'net references to Colnago machines which had versions called Maxim. So - - can I ask did you get much in the way of help when you posted your message regarding your bike please?

I have yet to clean it up, but the identification number is: 5172694, and would welcome knowing if that's a recognised manufacturers number?

The frame is 'ovalled' and it has 21 Shimano gears, and the colour scheme is a very simple, but very professional finish, metallic silver. The handlebar gears are marked 'DeoreDX'. Pedals are 'Sahae'. Rims are marked: BX25 (26" diameter)

Might this be a Contago of the early 1990's please?
Regards to all, Richard (Photos will be availble once I have cleaned it up)

This is mine
Hi, I just had another look at the Forum and see that you had a Contago Maxim last year, and wonder if I could ask what your Frame number might have been please? I sent in a message recently regarding trying to identify if the bike I just bought is, in fact, a Colnago Maxim, but no replies yet as the the Frame number recognition. Mine is shown as 5172694.
Does this sound similar to yours please? Richard

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi, I just had another look at the Forum and see that you had a Contago Maxim last year, and wonder if I could ask what your Frame number might have been please? I sent in a message recently regarding trying to identify if the bike I just bought is, in fact, a Colnago Maxim, but no replies yet as the the Frame number recognition. Mine is shown as 5172694.
Does this sound similar to yours please? Richard
Hi, I sold the bike and don't have the frame number, sorry. But yours doesn't look like a Colnago to me. Colnago Maxims had different tubing and as far as I know, always came with straight forks.

Hi, I sold the bike and don't have the frame number, sorry. But yours doesn't look like a Colnago to me. Colnago Maxims had different tubing and as far as I know, always came with straight forks.
Thanks for fast reply much appreciated. Interesting about the forks and I will do some more checking. Can I ask what was also different about the frame tubing please? Two of these are 'ovalled' which I thought Colnago's were too??
I presume that yours didn't have the word 'Maxim' on the front forks either?
Lot's of quite nice period kit on the bike though, and for the price I paid I guess it might be worth thinking about breaking it if it isn't a Colnago! Still hope someone will come up with info on Frame numbers, so will wait and see.
Ah well,
Cheers and thanks, Richard

The tubing on the Maxims are ovalized in an opposite way: near the seatpost Maxim's tubes have the largest diameter in the horizontal plane, yours has its largest in the vertical.

Aha!,. Another nail in the coffin I fear!. I will go and have another look. I am still left wondering how the word 'Maxim' fits into this as I couldn't find much on the 'net for anything with that name. It's been a quite busy day, so will have to go out and compare the various fittings like Shimano gears and chainset to see exactly what model they may be. The handlebar DX levers are certainly very period and the ones on Ebay seem quite expensive. It should still build up to be nice useable machine once cleaned and serviced. So am still reasonably happy with the purchase!!
Still would be nice to know how that frame number fits into things.

Back