Help identifying 90's Kona

the decals color doesn't seem to match well, but if I'm seeing a white vintage Kona, my first guess is always a 1995 Kilauea

Whatever it is it’s very cool, maybe a Kilauea or another kona painted white. Can you give us a picture of the bottom of the seattube?

What’s your plans with it?

I suspect it's been repainted at some point in its life, I'm pretty certain it's not a 95 Kilauea, it hasn't got the flare/bulge at the bottom of the seat tube.

I suspect it's been repainted at some point in its life, I'm pretty certain it's not a 95 Kilauea, it hasn't got the flare/bulge at the bottom of the seat tube.
Oh wait yeah didn’t see the second picture. Usually the lower end model ones where ovalised I think though was that just the early models?

From what I've been able to gather the paint and the decals don't exactly match anything. The decals seem like they're aftermarket. Also, the white paint seems to go all the way down to the bare metal, but it seems like it's been repainted by some of the creases and drooping in certain spots. House up and touched a very poorly with another white paint along the way. It does however have kona stamped in the drop outs.

The weight gives it away as a lower end model. My 16" 94 Kilauea weighs 1900g as a bare frame.
Edit: assuming the top tube measurement is c to c along the actual tube then I'd say it's a Hahanna or Fire Mountain as these were slightly shorter than the higher end frames, that measurement on the Kilauea is roughly 21.25" according to my tape measure just now.

Last edited:
The weight gives it away as a lower end model. My 16" 94 Kilauea weighs 1900g as a bare frame.
Edit: assuming the top tube measurement is c to c along the actual tube then I'd say it's a Hahanna or Fire Mountain as these were slightly shorter than the higher end frames, that measurement on the Kilauea is roughly 21.25" according to my tape measure just now.
I think I can be willing to accept itt's a lower end model. There's a lot of factors that don't really add up to it being my more from what I've been able to gather. It would have been wonderful to grab a 94/95 kila for $100 shipped from the charity auction. in general Happy to have another steel Kona to build out. going to remeasure when I get a chance. Still hoping to narrow down year and model. Appreciate your help. For now it is the KONA U.R.O (unidentified rolling object)

Back