Help from Marin gurus

Hezza

Devout Dirtbag
I recently poked my toe into the world of Marin by way of a 94 Pallisades trail. Unfortunately on stripping down I found a split in the non drive side chain stay. Whilst disappointed I thought to make the best of the situation and just get a replacement frame, all easy so far.

Unfortunately too much time on a train and access to eBay led me to not only getting a replacement frame but also a 1994 team Marin. As the Team Marin was £65 I was not actually expecting a great deal. On collection earlier today I was surprised to find that it is largely original as per the catalogue, the rear wheel is a Mavic X517 and the front shifter is missing the plastic window.

So to the point of this post, how good are these bikes? I am unsure of Marin bikes. When I was younger I would have loved any of them but that was because of the cool factor they had. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

90's Marin were great. Very neutral ride and comfy. The Palisades was always at the lower end so okay but nothing special but the Team should be ace and a steal for that price.

It will all fall back to you.
Its a quality machine for the money, however what's the intended purpose for it? They can have a racey stance.
Are you a decent mechanic? It just needs a tweek by the sounds of it.

Get some images posted up. Lets have a look!

Intended purpose, tinkering really, I would say an enthusiastic amateur mechanic. I refurbed a 1990 Claud Butler LX400 at the beginning of the first lockdown and got the bug of retro bikes and have worked on several other various bikes since . I always wanted a Marin and got this by accident.

Ok, if you got on with the claud butler, comfort and geometry wise, i reckon you will get on with the marin.
Give it a full strip down and see what may need replacing or servicing. Bottom bracket threads to lube up and all that.
Sounds as though most things will be salvageable.

Cheers!

I recently poked my toe into the world of Marin by way of a 94 Pallisades trail. Unfortunately on stripping down I found a split in the non drive side chain stay. Whilst disappointed I thought to make the best of the situation and just get a replacement frame, all easy so far.

Unfortunately too much time on a train and access to eBay led me to not only getting a replacement frame but also a 1994 team Marin. As the Team Marin was £65 I was not actually expecting a great deal. On collection earlier today I was surprised to find that it is largely original as per the catalogue, the rear wheel is a Mavic X517 and the front shifter is missing the plastic window.

So to the point of this post, how good are these bikes? I am unsure of Marin bikes. When I was younger I would have loved any of them but that was because of the cool factor they had. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Well done on getting it. I looked at this but it was a bit far away. I love mine although it’s a 1992 not a 94.
Strip it down, Clean it up and enjoy it. They really are nice to ride and rapid if you’re that way inclined.

Thanks, I am thinking of going a little further, I have an uncle who is a car sprayer so maybe a full strip, respray, new decals etc. See how much I can learn. Would you say this is a keeper? I normally work on a bike then give it to a family member or friend.

Well done on getting it. I looked at this but it was a bit far away. I love mine although it’s a 1992 not a 94.
Strip it down, Clean it up and enjoy it. They really are nice to ride and rapid if you’re that way inclined.
Thanks for the reply. I am looking forward to riding it, I am a little surprised I got it at that price, the more I am learning the more surprised and pleased I am.

Thanks, I am thinking of going a little further, I have an uncle who is a car sprayer so maybe a full strip, respray, new decals etc. See how much I can learn. Would you say this is a keeper? I normally work on a bike then give it to a family member or friend.
Ride it once its done and see how it feels. I actually prefer the ride of my marin to the 93 Kona Explosif that i had. Id say it’s probably a keeper but depends how it feels when you ride it really.

A Team Marin at £65 is a huge bargain, so long as it is not a rust bucket. Clean it up, and ride it - and post pics here!

Back