Help finding new 26" rigid fork

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Hi,

After ruining my original fork (or so I think, see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=387843) I finally decided to look for a replacement.

The fact that now 26" is out of fashion, and that I'm a bit picky with my requirements, is making it hard to find a suitable replacement, so I thought I'd ask here for help.

Basically, I'm looking for a fork with the following:

Must have's:
-made of cromoly (no carbon, no alu, no Hi-Ten)
-suitable for rim brakes
-suitable for mudguards
-non suspension corrected (my current Tange Big Fork seems to have about 390mm axle to crown, so I guess up to 410mm I should be ok)
-maximum price 100 EUR or equivalent. The bike is a '92 Trek 950 with immense sentimental value but not much market value.

Nice have's:
-ability to mount disks if I feel like it
-mid-fork eyelets to mount front racks if I feel like it
-non-threaded (ahead) steerer
-clearance for at least 2.1" tires, more is welcome

Until now I've only found cheap hi-ten stuff, crazy expensive carbon stuff, or disk-only suspension corrected options (Kona Project 2, etc.)

Thanks!!

There's tons of secondhand stuff around on eBay, which would be my first choice. If you insist on new, a Surly Long Haul Trucker fork would fit nicely.
I'm very pleased with the eXotic Carbon fork - I have run one for a year off-road on my Singlespeed, which is my main bike.

Any particular reason for the new ?. Because if its just youre unsure of safety, ive used many 2nd hand alloy, cromo and carbon forks in terrain that is considered harsh, and without any problem.

For 100E you should pick up something very capable in 2nds

Re:

Surly 1x1 fork would fit the bill. But they ain’t available anymore.

I guess you want new so you can just go buy a set today and not in 6 months when your eBay saved search pings something up?

Hi,

there's this guy selling Marin Rockstar/other forks taken from new bikes (probably changed for susp. at the bikeshop back then), I think they are worth a try:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Marin-Rocks ... :rk:3:pf:0

OEM Marin forks were made by Spinner, good quality, if you get lucky you can get triple butted ones (reads "TB" on steerer -engraved and probably the lightest ones, say, under 830 gr.), and off you go!

Or try this place: https://www.mtb-kult.de
Cro-mo forks are available in various sizes.
very nice guy, much recommended by me.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

pretty sure you can still buy project two forks new to fit those requirements.

Re:

Oldskool13":3upegnj7 said:
Thanks! I didn't know about this site. They have some forks that might fit the bill (steel, cantis and disks). However, they are the cheaper Hi-Ten version and also the dropouts look quite thin, but the price is fair given the specs. I'll keep them as plan B.

fearfactoryüberalles":3upegnj7 said:
Or try this place: https://www.mtb-kult.de
Cro-mo forks are available in various sizes.
very nice guy, much recommended by me.
I know this site and I also like it a lot. However, now he seems to have a very limited selection on 26", only 2 forks and both threaded. Since I'm going to change, I'd rather get ahead, but I'll also keep it as backup if I don't find anything better. The other option with the NOS ebay forks, I find them relatively expensive considering there are new modern options for a similar price...

enc":3upegnj7 said:
pretty sure you can still buy project two forks new to fit those requirements.
I thought that too, but the only ones I find are disk-only and 440mm axle to crown, way too long for a non-suspension bike unfortunately.

Back