Help/advice with eBay

Re:

Great info here - I’ve learnt a lot!

I wouldn’t worry about the fees offer, it will come round again if you can wait, or list it on here and save eBay and PayPal fees!

Lacuna":dxzgusf6 said:
I allow sales through the ebay global shipping program so all I have to do is post domestically to the ebay warehouse and then my part is over with. I've sent quite a few things that way and never had any trouble.

dyna-ti":dxzgusf6 said:
Say theres a problem. I take it you are fluent in Indonesian ?. Because trying to track down a lost parcel in a 3rd world country when you dont speak the lingo is 100% zero chance.

I would like to think we are beyond referring to poorer countries as being '3rd world'... Notwithstanding that, Indonesia is the 16th richest country in the world and part of the G20 so not exactly Nigeria

....mmmmh. Hear what you are saying. My input is based on working in a Logistics department in Jakarta for 8 months. My parallel with Nigeria is that corruption is rife. When I went around the bike shops there, I saw every kind of high end exotica you could imagine - Moots, Pinarello, Colnago, Litespeed etc etc. etc. - and almost always was essentially bought into the country from Australia, Taiwan or via Singapore as hand luggage with no import declaration.

Of course like anywhere else in the world, there are many many trustful and genuine people in Indonesia who like to ride and crave for nice bikes; I have fond memories of hanging around a small hole in the wall bike shop with two great young mechanics specializing in custom retro renovations.

Anyhow, we are offering help to someone who is new to selling on Ebay, and sadly got off on the wrong foot, was completely unprepared for an overseas sale, and dare I say naive about plausible consequences of continuing with the sale.

Re:

Thanks for all the advice guys, yes probably a bit naive I did not even consider anyone buying from abroad. Have take Dyna-it’s advice and changed my postage settings to avoid this problem in the future.

So this is what I have sent to the buyer, hopefully doesn’t take offence.

New message to: win*****
Hi Wina, I hope you can understand but unfortunately due to you not living in the uk (you should have been notified of this before you bid) and the unreasonable shipping costs to Indonesia I’m going to have to ask you to cancel this order please. I would appreciate it if you could do this as soon as possible.

Thanks

Tim.

So I sent this just before 2 this avo, my plan is to give them a nudge about midnight then if they haven’t done it I’ll cancel from my end in the morning. Is that fair enough??

Re:

So the buyer accepted that I wasn’t happy with the shipping and I cancelled the order this morning. Auto relisted it and messaged the guy who I knew wanted it and I accepted his offer all within 5 mins, so all sorted.

On a different note I have just logged into PayPal and noticed I’ve been charged a fee on all the money received from eBay, is this different to the fees you pay eBay? This eBay lark if a minefield!

Re: Re:

Timoth27":2u4lwb1h said:
So the buyer accepted that I wasn’t happy with the shipping and I cancelled the order this morning. Auto relisted it and messaged the guy who I knew wanted it and I accepted his offer all within 5 mins, so all sorted.

On a different note I have just logged into PayPal and noticed I’ve been charged a fee on all the money received from eBay, is this different to the fees you pay eBay? This eBay lark if a minefield!

Glad you got it sorted, most people on ebay are sound and help.

Yes, separate fees. At one time ebay and paypal were the same, some say they still are, they just split the companies and sold off paypal so now you have to pay them twice. Paypal, one of those great ideas that you wish you had thought of, getting people to pay you money so you can pay for an item for them with their money.

Re:

To be honest I think he probably was genuine but being new to selling I just wasn’t comfortable with the shipping costs and the risk. But they seemed to understand so hopefully it’s sorted now.

Regarding the fees it is quite confusing and of course I think I had (Covid) rose tinted glasses on what with the no list fee, cheap shipping costs and £1 selling fees. Postage for this frame has ended up being double what the others where because the shipping offer ended yesterday:(
I did auto relist it when I cancelled but doubt I’ll still get the £1 selling fee that came with original listing. But all in all I’ve come out in the black so all good.

No, the £1 selling fee only applies to the items that sell in the first listing. They do sneaky things like that, always read the T&C's on any offer they give. They sometimes extend the offer over 2 weekends so people list the item again the second weekend as the offer is still valid but it doesn't count as its now the second listing.

Also larger items i tend to have as collection only (no fees), and though you have to accept payment by paypal to be able to list an item you do not have to take that as a payment. You simply put on your listing that you will only accept cash on collection. As long as you state it in the item description text you are able to refund the buyer and cancel the transaction if they do pay by paypal and ebay will support you. Ebay are aware of this and were meant to be changing the system to take this into account but still haven't. Never take Paypal payments for collected items, both ebay and paypal advise against it, you are not covered and it is still, despite being old now, a really common con buyers will use.

Back