Helicoil rear mech threads - restoration Pace Rc100

TonyOrange7

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I'm just stripping down a Pace RC100 (Suntour Xc Pro build) that I acquired earlier this year for respray, but taking off the rear mech for the first time the first couple of threads in the frame have been cross threaded - it looks. The rear mech has maybe 2/3 of the threads attached but before I get the frame resprayed I might look to get the frame helicoiled. I'm in Surrey but I'd post the bike out / take it myself for the right repair.

Anyone any advice?

Thanks

Tony

TonyOrange7":2nhtdspc said:
Hi

I'm just stripping down a Pace RC100 (Suntour Xc Pro build) that I acquired earlier this year for respray, but taking off the rear mech for the first time the first couple of threads in the frame have been cross threaded - it looks. The rear mech has maybe 2/3 of the threads attached but before I get the frame resprayed I might look to get the frame helicoiled. I'm in Surrey but I'd post the bike out / take it myself for the right repair.

Anyone any advice?

Thanks

Tony

this any good to you ?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... ch-hanger/

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,169
Dropout savers are great and very easy to fit. Helicoils are more fiddly and best left to a pro but will leave the frame looking like new. If you’re getting the frame resprayed, talk to the guys at Argos. They have done many, many RC100 restorations and their paint match is superb, they also do frame repairs meaning you can get both done simultaneously

Ive had to use the dropout savers on a few frames, make sure you get the right length one though, i had to get longer one for the carbolite as the thicker alloy dropout was too thick for the usual one, tbh it was only a quid dearer, £7 very well spent

To be honest, if it's only 1/3 of the threads affected, I'd be tempted to run a tap through them to clean them and leave it. It's not a highly stressed bolt.

My_Teenage_Self":3lg8dkgd said:
To be honest, if it's only 1/3 of the threads affected, I'd be tempted to run a tap through them to clean them and leave it. It's not a highly stressed bolt.

I agree. Run the tap through from the inside face to guarantee it's straight and true.

Kevin Winter is another option for superb paintwork and no doubt could do your repair to.

I second the recommendation of Kevin Winter, his work is absolutely outstanding. You may have to wait because he is in demand, but believe me he is definitely worth it

the added bonus if you use him to paint is that he makes frames so could do both repair and paint for you

Back