Health and safety in the workshop

jimihendrix":3h29hwsv said:
Andy R":3h29hwsv said:
lewis1641":3h29hwsv said:
Just used my mates bench grinder. Then went to pick it up. It was still spinning. My thumb hurts. That is all.

The thing that's puzzling me is why you would try to pick up a bench grinder?
And wasn't it bolted to the bench ?? :roll:

Edit - great minds thinking alike. Simultaneously... :roll: :roll: sorry.

Mine is'nt bolted down, sometimes stand on it to use it and kick it back under the bench while it's still spinning, or throw it to a mate and shout "here catch" :LOL:

Bench grinders are'nt too bad (still need caution, i dont condone the above behaviour), it's angle grinders i hate, sometimes essential though, i had a disc shatter on one years ago while grinding down the welds on a wheel arch repair, the guard came loose and jammed the disc shattering it into 100's of bits, when this happened the grinder jumped out of my hands, a miracle i was'nt injured as i could hear bits of the disc falling and hitting the roof of the car etc a few seconds later :shock:, only protective gear i had on was gloves and a T-shirt, i now use them with extreme caution.

I've had a disc shatter on me once because it got wet, scared the crap out of me, and thank god I wasn't in the way of the chunk of disc that flew off (I have no idea where it went but it went a long way!!!) The vibration was so bad I had to turn it off at the mains..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Power tools are no more or less dangerous than hand tools, it just depends whose hands they are in! Everyone's heard a grim chisel story after all......

Lucky there Lewis.

Angle grinder cuts tend to me clean epecially with the rpm at which the disc runs at.

As an apprentice I was always taugh to look after and respect your tools and they will do the same back to you.

Back