Has anyone built a Gravel bike using a retro frame

Loving the look of this. Being able to shorten the axle to crown on the forks and reduce the size of the gap between the tyre and down tube makes an old 26" mtb conversion look really good.

Do you know what make the forks are?
Fork is a Bontrager Switchblade but previous owner painted it orange. Looks like 2 carrots 😂

Mate thats a stunner. Nice and clean. Real monstercross. What size tyres? 2.3? Do you get much clearance?
2.3 or it would rub the rear triangle. Tried with 2.4...looked better but no go
Mmmh. Pretty sure there is an old build with that bike somewhere. Looks familiar.
Mmmh. Pretty sure there is an old build with that bike somewhere. Looks familiar.
Could be, I bought it in these colours and it's not original. Came with a mix of XT, XTR, 105, Truvativ and Ritchey. Seat was unfortunately cracked leather but Brooks looks good though. Bike is in the Netherlands if that rings a bell?

Hello All. All of my classic mountain bike frames were converted to 700c x 25/28 over the years and served as my city commuters. Covid expedited the family move back down south. I was immediately reminded of the difference between an elbow up north (actual bike lanes) and an elbow in the ol' dirty (10 ft ditch an inch pass the white line...also called a grave). So after some transition time I converted my mountain bike frames back to some combination of Gravel and fat tire off-road. That's two Nishiki Aliens (one for me and one for the little girl), Haro Extreme for the 6ft 13 year old boy and lastly the Classic Cannondale M800 for me as well. All are 650B except the plum Nishiki that's 700c x 42. After a bit of an adjustment i've really enjoyed riding off-road just as much if not more as on pavement. So much that i'm still debating if i'll liquidate my Lynskey Helix Pro road bike.....sigh.

Attachments

• IMG_9185.jpeg
    IMG_9185.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9278.jpeg
    IMG_9278.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9274.jpeg
    IMG_9274.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9223.jpeg
    IMG_9223.jpeg
    732 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9171.jpeg
    IMG_9171.jpeg
    802.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9181.jpeg
    IMG_9181.jpeg
    649.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9184.jpeg
    IMG_9184.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Here’s my attempt 95/96 Marin not sure which model originally, kona project 2 forks 700c mutant stem rsx brifters modified lx mech to work with the brifters…….not sure if it’s not the done thing mixing kona and marin?

Attachments

• 1AA684BA-92D0-4A53-8CC2-32F342224CFF.jpeg
    1AA684BA-92D0-4A53-8CC2-32F342224CFF.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 5E8CE689-572C-4DFF-A8BD-12FCF6ED85C6.jpeg
    5E8CE689-572C-4DFF-A8BD-12FCF6ED85C6.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Here’s my attempt 95/96 Marin not sure which model originally, kona project 2 forks 700c mutant stem rsx brifters modified lx mech to work with the brifters…….not sure if it’s not the done thing mixing kona and marin?

Like it alot and mixing is where it is at!

What mods to the front mech and why? Was it a throw issue? Cage plates fouling on rings? Pics if you have them please.

Like it alot and mixing is where it is at!

What mods to the front mech and why? Was it a throw issue? Cage plates fouling on rings? Pics if you have them please.
Road front mechs have a different pull ratio, therefore a road shifter won't pull the right amount of cable for an mtb front mech and it won't index correctly, I have tried :D . Would like to know how it was done too.

Road front mechs have a different pull ratio, therefore a road shifter won't pull the right amount of cable for an mtb front mech and it won't index correctly, I have tried :D . Would like to know how it was done too.

I thought all front mechs moved the same amount per mm of cable and it was the shifters that just had more travel if they were for a triple and front indexing was more or less standard. Cage widths, lengths and inner plate depth different too, but that was it.
NOt like the rear with loads of differerent cog spacings, shifter cable pulls, no. of speeds, and mech ratios: Every day is a school day!!

If its a throw issue then my guess is the pinch bolt was moved to change the ratio. A triple mech might need the inner plate trimming too.

I thought all front mechs moved the same amount per mm of cable and it was the shifters that just had more travel if they were for a triple and front indexing was more or less standard. Cage widths, lengths and inner plate depth different too, but that was it.
NOt like the rear with loads of differerent cog spacings, shifter cable pulls, no. of speeds, and mech ratios: Every day is a school day!!

If its a throw issue then my guess is the pinch bolt was moved to change the ratio. A triple mech might need the inner plate trimming too.
I could have it arse upwards, wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes: they could well move the same amount and the difference is in the shifter. I have tried flat bar Deore shifters with a 105 front mech and it didn't work.

Back