Half Links and Vertical Dropouts

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
How easy/probable is it to achieve a satisfactory chain tension only using a half-link chain on a bike with standard (semi)vertical dropouts?

If i did, would it require a bolt-on rear skewer to keep it all in place or should the QR be sufficient with that type of dropout?

I would not bother with a half link chain. Tried one on my SS - Gussett slinky?, it stretched alarmingly (2 months - dozen or so rides). Get a proper strong SS chain instead and use a chain tensioner if required.

Regarding chain tension, get it as tight as you can. It's the family crown jewels that are at stake and they need to be protected from top tube collisions.

I'm using a half link chain at the moment and as it's quite new I'm not getting any wear issues yet. However, using either a half link chain or just a single half link in a normal chain, I've found it still is never quite right - I could do with a quarter link :roll: :LOL: But that's with vertical dropouts - semi-horizontal you should be fine. Why not try one of the single half links? Charliethebikemonger has them on Ebay for around £4.

orange71":62nzdvrg said:
I'm using a half link chain at the moment ...

They stretch before they have any chance of wearing out, check it out before it has a chance of ruining your family jewels :!:

If you can afford it, a White Industries Eccentric Rear hub would work best-of course, you'd have to build a wheel around it! Chain tensioners are OK, but add drag and don't look as clean.

kaiser":786956pf said:
if its a clean look your after theres a new tensioner that works from the BB, its quite discreet and has good reviews

I like the sound of this, do you have any more info?

Cheers for the link, he looks like he got pretty good tension without the widget!

I don't agree it's an aesthetically more pleasing way to add tension. At the least dropout mounted ones are in a 'natural' position.

Ho hum, do I spank loads on an ENO hubbed wheel or live with the imperfection of a tensioner? :?

Alas, new dropouts are not an option.

Back