GT LTS 2000

JOEGTLTS2000

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I’m very new to the website and very new to my bike GT LTS 2000. Could you all please advise me on common problems. Also I would like to fit disk brakes, could you please advise on the setups wheels etc. I bought this bike as I’ve always wanted one from seeing them in shops. This was when I was younger and had more time on my hands. I’m now fast approaching 38 years young and would like to restore this bike, with a few modern touches. I know I will need more decals if anyone knows of a seller. I look forward to your replies, and just to let you know I’m not Mr current affairs with the mtb bike scene. But I am a fast learner and I do mechanic on my own cars.

Many Thanks

Joe 304D39AE-A602-4AF3-9E90-FBDC506705E3.jpeg

Common problems:

1. shock servicing. It's old, almost proprietary and very few places will service one. Finding a replacement can be a huge challenge (I know from sts ownership experience).

2. Cracking rear stays. At pivot points.

3.bushing replacement. Not easy to find original replacements at all. Maybe able to find equivalents. You can replace the bushings with bearings via conversion kit from betd. With cost a fair bit.

4. Unless your rear end has holes for a disc mount to be bolted on, you are looking at having one welded on, or making our own homes and buying one that bolts on.

I have done all of the above aside from having to deal with cracked stays thankfully.

So can the cracked stays be alloy welded where about do they crack?

Can you get rebuild kits for the suspension and shocks.

I’m from the UK, I do know a good alloy welder that could build up weld and create the bolt holes for the rear disks, that’s if the frame can be welded.

Also looking at the front shocks there is mounts both sides for disk brakes could I double up, I was thinking disks both sides.

Many Thanks

Ahh yes the double disk brake marzocchi bombers, you’ll have to get hubs that can actually support disk brakes let alone one with 2 upfront. You’ll also need a special type of hose routing that allows liquid to travel to both callipers.

Depends how much work you want to put into it but I think it’ll look awesome with double disk

And I think if your stats are cracked it’s not worth welding them it’s probably easier getting a donor with non cracked stays. But I’m not sure on the strength of the alu so you could potentially weld it?

Ahh yes the double disk brake marzocchi bombers, you’ll have to get hubs that can actually support disk brakes let alone one with 2 upfront. You’ll also need a special type of hose routing that allows liquid to travel to both callipers.

Depends how much work you want to put into it but I think it’ll look awesome with double disk

And I think if your stats are cracked it’s not worth welding them it’s probably easier getting a donor with non cracked stays. But I’m not sure on the strength of the alu so you could potentially weld it?
Do you know of anyone who has done the double disk brakes on the front something I could follow.

I have also bout a get lts 3000 with disk conversion on front and rear but it’s an after market that’s strapped to the frame.

If you could advise on service kits for the suspension please, they are working but I want to have the bits in while they are available if they are available.

Double disc was Formula standard I think, so you are already limited on options.
You can convert with the right adapter to is. You then need a set of brakes that are identical front and back, preferably with a banjo fitting hose. You can then have a double banjo bolt made up and run 2 lines from the mc.

Hubs are going to be another challenge.

There weren't many who did it unless it was a show bike.

Double disc was Formula standard I think, so you are already limited on options.
You can convert with the right adapter to is. You then need a set of brakes that are identical front and back, preferably with a banjo fitting hose. You can then have a double banjo bolt made up and run 2 lines from the mc.

Hubs are going to be another challenge.

There weren't many who did it unless it was a show bike.
Could I not run wire operated calipers then have two wire going into the one lever ?

Latest posts

Back