Grease!

hmm....will you stop being naughty for a moment....

Right...(i) for assembly: coppaslip antiseize on all threads - lots of. Particularly BBs. I live by it. Big tin. (ii) bearings: then for bearings, avoid cheap auto-industry grease, ie cheap lithium grease. No good. I have used FinishLine synthetic for years - big pot...brilliant. (iii) General pottering grease - red grease in bulk from ebay. Looks nice. For things like seat posts. Cheap. (iv) low speed high pressure bearings (eg pedal bearings) - ridiculously expensive molybdunum grease. (v) for carbon fitting - non slip carbon paste.

Absolutely. Fantastic stuff. Fully synthetic, waterproof, doesn't clag easily. Stays in place. Very well behaved grease. One wheelset has been on the same grease charge for over ten years, and when I looked the grease still was white and not black. That's quite something.

I would …. well worth the outlay I think. I also use it from a Dualco grease gun with a long nozzle - really gets the grease in the right place and pays back in stopping wasted grease splurged in the wrong place. Like this:

I know we've all got our own ways,I no longer use copper grease with ally,especially if it's an ally/steel combination (frame/bb).Have found,unfortunately, it can cause an increase electrolytic corrosion.And I was pretty much brought up on it!
First noted when ally wheels became popular on cars,saw a lot furred up after someone had copper greased the backs of the wheels and refitted.I use it on car brakes,wheel studs and other high temp applications,that's about all.Ally grease is available,seems to work well.
I use a good quality EP2 rated grease (Morris) for pretty much everything.Bit thicker than standard lithium,little more drag on bearings but sticks around,doesn't wash out easily.Shimano anti seize also good for bb's.
Plastic syringes are great for grease application,inexpensive too.Stick a bit of tube on the end if you need more reach.
I'm an engineer,and I'm quite particular about things being right.I used to get the best product for each and every application,and stick with manufacturer recommendations but experience has taught me it's often not necessary.

Mobil grease xhp222 or Super Lube. For anti seize, I use Nickleseez, high temperature stuff and is Aluminium compatible.

Last edited:
Back