Always lurking, a headset bearing question before I go mad.. and a promise of my first build thread.!

enigma

Retro Guru
So I have been a regular lurker, sometimes get involved in chats etc.. I will do a build thread when I get time..
I am doing a very simple as yet rebuild of an old '94 I think Marin Bear Valley that my dad had and barely road it appears as under the grime everything is in very nice condition.. except the lower headset bearings which look past it, and post cleaning and degreasing feel it still too!
The headset is the original Ritchey threaded item, and before I go mad or have to raid a bike i bought for spares I was looking for a new race or loose balls to replace..
Thing is the balls appear to be 5mm or the imperial equivalant which I think was 15/64.. the cage appears to be 30.5mm i.d / 40.5 i.d but is not in great condition and think slightly misshapen which may be the issue.
I guess its possible the replacement cage I found with 30 / 39 dimensions could work..? but they appeared to carry 6mm ball bearings..!
So I figured I would ask the collective genius of this page for any similar issues and pointers.

I did buy two more bear valleys with smaller frames sensibly locally as I figured I would want bits, which as yet ive not , even the tyres are like new under the grubbiness. So they have Marin branded headsets I would have to investigate if they were in better condition, but for now i would prefer to keep those framesets whole if I can get some bearings, for the one in pieces..!
It will be a panniered build as my first taste of bike packing, and so far its been acheived on a pleasingly low budget.
I have taken loads of photos to try and do a build thread when I get a chance.

Hi sorry, essentially has anyone come across the strange size it measures at? I’ve decent vernier callipers and I’ve double checked.. the sizing is not something I can find anywhere to buy.. apologies if I didn’t make sense. Ben

4.762 mm = 3/16"
5.159 mm = 13/64"

My money would be on them being 3/16" as that is a standard ball size. How accurately are you measuring?

Hi sorry, essentially has anyone come across the strange size it measures at? I’ve decent vernier callipers and I’ve double checked.. the sizing is not something I can find anywhere to buy.. apologies if I didn’t make sense. Ben
get one of those bearing measure things. It’s basically a 1/4 hole followed by… etc.

I agree with what @Gtpulse said, just fit em loose if you have enough grease you wont notice a thing👍

Also @enigma , will you do a build on the Kona your doing?

Thankyou for the reply’s, I am measuring with decent straight vernier calipers.
I will fetch my dial calipers up from my folks house and check. With finer readings.
I am playing with bikes more and looking at older bikes so I can get some of each for what they cost and select the right ones.
Good confirmation on loose ball fitting I can vaguely recall loose in everything, and placing loose bearings in sticky lm grease sat on the wall at home!
I used to build old heavy mtb from skip parts as a lad!
I am after a nice smooth lasting result, having been spoilt by cartridge bearings and low maintenance from hope hubs and sealed bottom brackets etc… it’s like learning over.
Learnt trial and error most things bicycle based but love having a friendly safety net to help get things right first time around, Thankyou.

get one of those bearing measure things. It’s basically a 1/4 hole followed by… etc.

I agree with what @Gtpulse said, just fit em loose if you have enough grease you wont notice a thing👍

Also @enigma , will you do a build on the Kona your doing?
I will do a build thread on future projects if I get on with it, I’m not amazing digitally, but I’ve been reminded about good memories and nice bikes, looking at others threads so time I joined in!
My planned kona build is on hold as I need to find a bigger frame , I’ve realised I don’t need another 19” frame kona on fleet so I’ve re homed the frame and keeping my eye out for the elusive 20” at realistic money.
Meanwhile I can keep collecting bits!
I scored some triple traps for some major nostalgia locally recently…

Back