Goodbye to ebay !

Ive been lucky and never had a problem selling. Im honest, take good photos and answer questions fully. I dont want the stuff back.....its why im trying to get rid of it.

Problem comes when the buyers not honest.

As ive said, for me its not the politics of ebay that worry me, or even if they choose to hold my £9.59.

Its a security issue. Pure and simple.

Ok. I can have a separate bank account.....but i thought i had that kinda thing with paypal! If ebay now claim they dont have a deal with them any more, why are they still accepting payment from them.

The bigger " urrrgh dont get that" is that argument is highly flawed as they dont have an agreement with Barclays, lloyds or any other bank as far as i know. So why the hell cant i nominate pay pal as my " bank" for this exercise and establish an agreement by putting my paw print in the box, same as any other bank or building society?!

I know its about greed at ebay, and they want to cut out paypal in favour of banks who dont charge ( oh except the monthly fee) but to go about it in such a ridiculously transparent fashion, makes me believe they either think their customer are stupid or as somebody pointed out they just dont want the private sellers.

I have a seperate account that I use for those I am not happy with.It is not linked to my main account and only has funds when I transfer money into it from the main account. If I felt under threat then its a quick call to clear it out back to the main account.It has no overdraft facility and the bank tell me that any request for funds when it is empty would be refused and I would be contacted. That is the only account that e bay has access to . Having said that I have used them for a good number of years now and no problems but they remain on the list of people i dont trust.No way would I give them or pay pal access to my main house accounts. Im going to sell a few low value bits to see how this works before trusting them with something worth real money

I just dropped in this section to see if this very topic is here!
Just got lightly burned. Was waiting for their £1 listing day, for a longer than usual time, and they offered upto 80% off fees if you register. So I did. What I missed was activating it. my fault but seems sneaky to have to follow two links to get it!

EDIT: eBay rep has actually got back to me!! and some fees refunded, so credit where it is due, no pun intended!
Only problem is I ended most of my ads. good to have actual comms though!

-- Next reply from another rep, suggested my current listing isn't valid, so fingers crossed this refund comes.
Modern tech is making things very awkward and slippery!

Found out after selling an item for £89 and £4.20 postage. the 12.8% is still on postage too so I ended up with just over £80 effectively gobbling the postage too!

The other issue is of course that it takes 2 business days just to send the money minus fees that are now immediate. So postage initially has to come from your pocket.
It stinks, people are paying good money but it's being gobbled in fees.

Back to classifieds? Ideas on a post card...

Last edited:
Are the £1 listing events user specific? I've been waiting for one for what seems like longer than usual now - and whilst they are chasing me to update my payment details they don't seem to be offering the reduced selling fee event... Was hoping I could benefit from one before the end of the month!

Not if the seller strings you along and you don’t make a claim as you (falsely) believe you still have 3 months (or whatever) to claim.

That is not really ebays fault though is it!?

Ok. I can have a separate bank account.....but i thought i had that kinda thing with paypal! If ebay now claim they dont have a deal with them any more, why are they still accepting payment from them.

You did, but why should a business let another company make profit from handling payments for them, when they can do it themselves? And you can use any number of payment methods to buy from sellers on bay, why should you not be allowed to use your pp account to make a payment?

Are the £1 listing events user specific? I've been waiting for one for what seems like longer than usual now - and whilst they are chasing me to update my payment details they don't seem to be offering the reduced selling fee event... Was hoping I could benefit from one before the end of the month!

Yes, promotions are user specific. Do you mean the listing fee or the final value fee? I still have free listings on one of my accounts, the £1 max final value fee has stopped for now, im on the 80% offer mentioned above, they like to change it up now and again.

but why should a business let another company make profit from handling payments for them, when they can do it themselves
Simply because it my choice, not theirs. If i choose paypal as my " bank" to handle my income, surely thats up to me. Not up to ebay to decide. After all, if i choose to spend 4% on the protection offered by PayPal, thats up to me. I dont notice ebay paying my PayPal fees.

So frankly its greed on ebay part.

Back