Goodbye to ebay !

Have just read they plan on stopping payments with pp in a few years too, maybe pp is coming to an end!?

eBay have always had an uneasy relationship with PayPal. IIRC Paypal figured out more convenient payment integration before eBay could, grew enormously off the back of that, eBay bought them, then decided to sell them and now are looking to disentangle themselves again.

The integration never worked perfectly with it not always being easy to see who to claim money back from: eBay or PayPal in the event of a dispute.

As a poster upstream said at one time you could run a paypal account without a bank account/credit card associated with it - making it impossible for eBay to claim charges.

Folk seem to be getting their knickers in a twist about nothing.

All eBay are doing is cutting PayPal out and keeping that share. Your fees will be close to identical apart from cash on collection items. Admittedly it’s going to take a couple of days now to hit the account which isn’t ideal but for the average person it’s no different

PayPal have always had access to your account to take money.

Benefit is when eBay have £1 listings you will escape the PayPal charge.

The email they sent me said I’d be 0.1% better off as a seller.

The worst bit is the protection that is given by PayPal. A few things have been dragged out by the seller to go over the 30(?) days limit on claims. PayPal cover you for (I think) 3 months!

Im not really worried about them claiming money from my account so much as the issue of security. As i said upstream in this post, at present ebay are 3 steps from my bank, with no direct link between 2 of them. Ie its pretty secure even if my data got stolen from them.

Although ebay may like to act like a bank they are not one. PayPal got hauled up a couple of years ago over their " buffering" of peoples money....but it all went quiet and went away with no action taken. Wait till Ebay starts.

Give ebay your personal account details and a mandate to raid it and just wait for the " oh we had a data breach" tsunami to hit. Just a bad idea im not getting involved with.

The only other option is a ebay only bank account*. But with my bank now charging £15.00 a month for a current account, thats not looking too appealing either.

* possibly in the Cayman Islands, where ebay pay their taxes.😂

PayPal have always had access to your account to take money.

Not mine they haven't. My Paypal is only linked to a credit card with a low limit on it, specifically because I don't trust paypal. I would never even consider linking my main bank account to an offshore non-banking corporation.

I suspect this will be the death knell of ebay for private sellers, which is what they have wanted for some time. It's greed. Same as Amazon. Both are full of chinese tat these days anyway.

Theres a glaring gap in the market for a smaller private company to create an auction site with a model similar to ebay, but with feedback that means something and terms which would be off putting to professional sellers. Gumtree doesn't do it for me, feels shady but not sure why.

Not mine they haven't. My Paypal is only linked to a credit card with a low limit on it, specifically because I don't trust paypal. I would never even consider linking my main bank account to an offshore non-banking corporation.

I suspect this will be the death knell of ebay for private sellers, which is what they have wanted for some time. It's greed. Same as Amazon. Both are full of chinese tat these days anyway.

Theres a glaring gap in the market for a smaller private company to create an auction site with a model similar to ebay, but with feedback that means something and terms which would be off putting to professional sellers. Gumtree doesn't do it for me, feels shady but not sure why.

How do you withdraw funds if it’s only linked to a credit card ?

How do you withdraw funds if it’s only linked to a credit card ?

Theres a separate agreement on my pp account which enables me to withdraw to a receiving account set up only for that purpose. I can't fund my paypal directly from my receiving account and they are also unable to debit it as there is no direct debit authority in place. The only thing they are able to debit is the restricted credit card.

Back