Going tubeless ... the daunting made easy ...

The other side of the story is surely; put a tube in when putting tyre on, pump up and ride, no punctures, take tyre off when worn out repeat :)
Or you could just do the initial tubeless set up (which actually takes virtually no time in the grand scheme of things) and have even less punctures, less rolling resistance AND more traction, then take the tyre off when it's worn out?

Or you could just do the initial tubeless set up (which actually takes virtually no time in the grand scheme of things) and have even less punctures, less rolling resistance AND more traction, then take the tyre off when it's worn out?

:) did run tubeless on my dh bikes, was able to run low pressures and had zero issues. Though i would imagine lower pressures on a xc bike, while offering slightly more grip, would create more drag.

Fortunately not, tubeless has lower rolling resistance at the same pressure (given same tyre/rim and a sensible amount of sealant) so you can lower the pressure significantly and have better traction and same rolling resistance. (Or leave the pressure the same and have less rolling resistance)

Lots of tunes to be played with tyres these days, same as on the road. (But different tunes obviously!)

Nice write up but don't think it's that difficult or expensive in the long run.

Airshot or equivalent you can get for about 40 quid. Or borrow one.

Sealant is a tenner or so. Valves you need once and between 7 and 15 quid whatever you want to spend.

Muc off tape is 7 quid a roll on ebay or equivalent.

Tubes are what? 6 quid an end if decent.

I've had tubeless and non tubeless tyres in 26", 650b, 650b+ and 29er and not really had many issues with any. Some combos work well, some are a pain, but never spent more than 45 minutes or an hour on a wheel. Topping up, I am lazy, maybe once a year. Maybe I've just got lucky in 6 years of tubeless.

I dont think you have to do it, but the horror stories that it's a dark art etc is a little misleading. Mainly you just need decent tape and I'd go over the rim with fairy liquid to get it to pop out properly but it's a logical system.

I'd also say if you want an easy life buy the Joe's flat strips or make your own ghetto system by butchering a 24" tube because that really is foolproof and simple

Yeah, i've run it on a couple of CX bikes. Never had an issue with it, and i've had the tyres down to ~1.2bar, it's even using non-tubeless roadie rims (Open Pro) AND non-tubeless tyres. I even use the CX bike for MTB rides just to mix it up (but maybe 1.8-2bar).
Been like that 6 or 7 years. The ex runs a similar set up but discs and tubeless ready Stans CX rims (not tyres) and hasn't had an issue (dented rim, or puncture) in about the same period.

My Retro MTB has been run tubelessly (using Michelin WildGripper sprints IIRC) thats using XTR Vs, no issues there in the year or two i had it like that (two seasons of racing!), swapped back to tubes, as these days it only gets ridden once or twice a year, if that.
I'm glad it works for you. The day I splayed a rim I hit something very hard. To be fair it was my own fault. Partly because I was going fast, and partly because I didn't know the trail.

I'm glad it works for you. The day I splayed a rim I hit something very hard. To be fair it was my own fault. Partly because I was going fast, and partly because I didn't know the trail.
TBH, if you're always worrying about and planning for the once a year/decade/whatever event, it ruins everything else...
Just do what works, then beat dents out of your rim with a rock once every blue moon

Back