Giant Coldrock and Marin Muirwoods

Sort of impulsively bought some bikes.

Actually went to go and pick up this Hardrock for Ā£5 with a stuck seat post. Iā€™ve got enough bits to make this a working bike so Iā€™ll sell it on as itā€™s too big for me really.
IMG_2173.jpeg

And whilst I was there the guy gave me a look at so other tat he had. Ended up also buying this ā€œCoventry Eagleā€ 100 years thing. Which despite its name actually has a full Deore LX groupset. The frame is actually double butted cromo and it has a spinner fork. Headset is super nice, stem is like a steel copy of my Marin roller stem. But anyway it meant I could add some deore lx parts to the hoarder bin to save for later (including the front wheel which is almost new despite the filth). It also meant I could pinch the BR-M550 cantis for my Marin!

IMG_2172.jpeg
IMG_2177.jpeg IMG_2176.jpeg

Then hooked up a chain and ran the brake cables. Still waiting on straddle hangers to arrive then I can take it for a blast. This is by far the nicest bike Iā€™ve ever owned let alone built. Very pleased with it.

IMG_2180.jpeg IMG_2181.jpeg
IMG_2182.jpeg

But yeah - what should I do with this Eagle thing? Seems a shame for it to go to waste since itā€™s clearly come from a decent bike makers factory in Taiwan. But it isnā€™t filling me with pure joy šŸ˜‚

IMG_2263.jpeg IMG_2268.jpeg IMG_2269.jpeg IMG_2273.jpeg IMG_2274.jpeg

Just a few snaps from todayā€™s blast. 30 miles from Leith out to the Pentlands and back. It was really boggy and muddy. There was a point where I was washing the bike off in a stream because the clay was like riding with the brakes on šŸ˜‚.

But aside from all that it was perfect. Lots of gear ratio for the hills. The fat tyres were nice on the rougher gravel. Couldnā€™t fault it.

So my girlfriend has always eyed up the Coldrock and now that sheā€™s moving to the city and needs a commuter bike I told her that if I found something cool to build she could use that. I wanted something aluminium as I need to carry it up loads of stairs and the giant is a beefcake. I also fancied a fork because I cycle over lots of cobbles.

Then this Cannondale F500 pops up for sale 20 mins away from me for, no joke, Ā£60. Aside from some paint bubbling itā€™s mint and the guy had bought it brand new. All deore lx and stx. Upgraded to deore V brakes. Headshok works perfectly. Coda sealed bearing hubs. So I chucked my seat and pedals on from the Giant, fitted a set of specialized alu bars from the parts bin that have a bit of a rise. I also had a slightly wider range 8 speed cassette in the bin that got used. Got a set of 26ā€ muddies for Ā£10. Chucked some gravel tyres on and away we go. All weather commuter and general shenanigans bike. It does look rather nice thoughā€¦

As collected:
IMG_2376.jpeg

Faffed with:
IMG_2411.jpeg IMG_2413.jpeg

Latest posts

Back