Giant Coldrock and Marin Muirwoods

JackLedin

Retro Newbie
Been riding around on old 26” mountain bikes for a while now and have had the odd lurk on here for info, but have only recently really gotten into them. I have a 1991~ Giant Coldrock that I built up as a commuter. It’s wide range 1x8. I bought a 2000 specialized hard rock and stole most of the bits off it. Lots of cool shenanigans going on there. I’ve used it loads and it’s a really nice bike to ride.

Then I realised I was riding it more than my proper bike, a modern cube gravel thing. So I’ve decided to sell that and I’m going to build this 1993 Marin Muirwoods up into a gravelly touring bike. The frame is a bit nicer than the Giant and I think it would take a bit better to this. I’ll likely do another 1x something. Going to look for some nicer wheels and cranks but despite my original thoughts I might keep the blue bars and handlebar stem because they are so Marin. Not sure how deep I’m gonna dive into this one but I may as well use this to track progress.

I’m really into daft bikes. I like how loud the Giant is. I’ve never seen another one either!

IMG_1529.jpeg

IMG_1567.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg IMG_2051.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg

Cheers for the comments on the Giant, it’s a pretty neat bike for commuting and pottering on but it’s a bit of a heavy lump!

Managed to do some bits to the Marin. Decided when cleaning the frame that it really needed re-stickered, and if it needed that then it was getting powder coated. So I got that done and collected some bits. Most of the bits I got obscenely cheap on Wiggle besides the wheels.

So it’s 1x10 Deore. 11-46. With a nukeproof bottom bracket (that matches the Marin blue anodising!) and sram dub 32t cranks. All pretty lightweight stuff. I also got a tange seiki sealed bearing headset. Brakes are the polished up standard Shimano jobs. Wheels are deore hubs laced to alexrims G3000. These are really light actually - the 2.35 tyres JUST fit and no more.

I’m keeping the Marin lite seat post, stem and bars. I think they kinda suit the bike and it’s nice to keep some original parts. I’ve taken the brooks B17S from the Giant as I have a funky charge spoon for that. I don’t have scales so can’t weigh it but for a steely it’s light.

So now I’m gonna try and find some nice period brake levers, and get a sticker set for a 1993 Muirwoods if possible. Then it’s finish cables and chain.

That's a neat looking monster! What is the color (RAL code or something?)?
I could find out if you’re curious? The guy I use does loads of bike frames. He just said he had a sparkly purple and I said aye, so never found out the ral number!

I could find out if you’re curious? The guy I use does loads of bike frames. He just said he had a sparkly purple and I said aye, so never found out the ral number!
No stress, it's just always good to know which colour really pops.

Back