For Sale George Longstaff Audax REDUCED £1500 now open to offers!

To add to the confusion, Columbus made Zona tubing (steel) and Zonal tubing (aluminium)

This is evidently a beautifully made steel frame by one of the most respected British builders, but the interest in rim-brake bikes has fallen off a cliff. £500-600 would be a good price for the spec

ZONA

Asymmetric reinforced tubes for top of the range, custom, competitive road and MTB frames.

Material:

• 25CrMo4 25CrMo4 seamless steel: the chemical composition of this steel, specifying a higher percentage of Chromium, gives to the material good resistance properties to overheating. The formation of carbides prevents the grain enlargement:
    the steel maintains its properties during brazing and welding, even in the malleable raw state it features excellent mechanical characteristics.
  • Mechanical characteristics: UTS=800MPa, Ys=760MPa, Ap5 =12%
    Suggested filler material for TIG welding: OK TIGROD 13.12 (AWS 5.28 ER 80S-G)
    Suggested material for brazing: Castoline Silver Alloy 38230
    Columbus 25CrMo4 is utilized for the production of the Zona, 29r and FAT tubesets.

Apologies but columbus decal does say zona alloy

To add to the confusion, Columbus made Zona tubing (steel) and Zonal tubing (aluminium)

This is evidently a beautifully made steel frame by one of the most respected British builders, but the interest in rim-brake bikes has fallen off a cliff. £500-600 would be a good price for the spec
Agreed. Starting to realise regarding the price. Cost considerably more to build than £500-£600 but I take your point. I wouldn’t let it go for that amount, id rather keep it than let it go at that price. Could be a brilliant bike for someone when you consider what they would have to spend to get a frame of this quality alone!

I have a very similar frame - A fillet brazed Audax in Zona .. exquisitely built by an excellent British builder. I have no time to ride it but I'm loathe to sell it for peanuts.

When I worked in a bike shop in my youth, plenty of roadies would drone on about how disc brakes would never work on a road bike, too little contact patch, blah blah. How that tide turned

This generation of builders honed their craft sometimes for decades before putting their own name on a frame. These days, plenty of upstarts with a brazing torch and good instagram skillz can be asking £3000 for probably the 10th frame they’ve ever made.

Ok Rant over

Attachments

• IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    954.9 KB · Views: 16
Back