FS: Lovely Stumpy M2

mjp200581

Dirt Disciple
With a heavy heart I'm selling just about my favourite thing in the world - my beloved 1997 Stumpy M2!

If like me you were an impressionable teenager in the 1990's Jason McRoy was the coolest guy on the planet and a red Stumpy M2 was THE bike to have. I had one new in 1997 and sorely regretted selling it so when my friend found this one for a sale a few years ago I knew I had to have it.
The previous owner had it fitted out with slick tyres and was using it as an occasional commuting bike (sacrilege!) but on the positive side that meant that the bike had seen very little offroad action and was consequently in great nick.

Hopefully I've whetted your appetite so here's some more pics:

The frame is certainly not mint but considering the age it's in very good condition. Unfortunately the paint on the drive-side chainstay is badly chipped but is hidden by the chainstay protector. Elsewhere are the usual odd scuffs and scrapes but overall the condition is really very good and I think you'd struggle to find a better one.

I've made some component swaps to the bike but I still have the original elastomer Manitou fork, flat Ritchey bar and Ritchey post which I'll include with the bike.

When I got the bike the chain was badly worn and had taken out the middle ring and cassette. These have all been replaced and have been barely used since. The chainrings are Middleburn slickshift hardcoat fitted to the original Specialized Strongarm cranks.

The original Ritchey seatpost was badly scratched and has been replaced with a lovely Thomson elite which I think really suites the bike and a I added a matching Thomson Elite X4 stem (100mm).

Included in the sale are the original Manitou forks (the black pair) plus a pair of Manitou SX which are a superior model with rebound damping. Fitted to the bike is a pair of more modern Fox F80 (recently serviced) which as you can imaging transform the ride (for the better!). So the options are there to use the superior modern fork or revert back to the original spec.

Frame: Specialized Stumpjumper M2 size medium (18" measured centre-top of collar or 17" to the top tube)
Fork: Fox F80 (recently serviced). Also included the original Manitou and an upgrade Manitou SX
Wheels: Original wheels, Mavic rims (238's?), LX Rear hub, Straxle front hub with radial lacing. Original Specialized Team Master and Team Control tyres!
Cassette: Sram 8sp (nearly new)
Chain: Sram 890 (nearly new)
Front mech: Original LX
Brakes: Original Avid V brakes and levers (till with original brake blocks!)
Headset: Original Tange 1 1/8" a-head
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 100mm
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Layback
Bar: Specialized riser (modern)
Shifters: Original LX sti

Please note the Flite Ti saddle pictured is NOT included (sorry but it's may favourite).

I'm asking £450 as described but will take £375 without the Fox Fork.

I know that's not cheap but this bike is ready to go with no nasty surprises. Everything has been stripped down and serviced and is in excellent mechanical order so you won't find yourself having to spend any extra money to get it up to scratch.

I live in Sheffield if you would like to view the bike and whilst I'm not willing to risk sending the bike with a courier I'd be happy to deliver it myself to almost anywhere in the UK if my fuel costs are paid. Feel free to call me on: 07813 695 159

Thanks for looking!

Regards, Mike

Re:

That's lovely but too small for me luckily.

Id be interested in the fox forks if you do sell them separately

Re:

Thanks slackboy, I'll certainly contact you if I end up selling the Fox fork separately.

I've just realised that I forgot to post pictures of the Manitou forks. Just to clarify I'm offering the M2 with any combination of the Manitou or Fox fork and the price can be negotiated accordingly. The black fork is the original and the orange pair is a higher spec model from the same year.

Both forks have had very little use since I last serviced them.

Back