Frozen Freehub Shimano RX100 - Advice

JoeH

Old School Hero
The freehub won't rotate backwards, maybe it is stuck, or frozen, or jammed.
Only as much as shown in the below pics.

Any help much appreciated.

Will drip feeding it oil sort it out?

VUtm73c.jpg

This is as much as I can rotate it backwards below.
7QycXrS.jpg

I had a stuck freehub on a bike that a few drops if oil and some brute force helped, but it was on a cheap wheel I was not worried about hurting.

I suspect the correct thing to do is remove and service or replace the freehub. It probably needs a bloody good clean and lube.

A good soaking in either Kerosene, Plus Gas, Vinegar, Coke will help loosen things up then it’s a case of dismantling as maybe one of the pawls has somehow popped out or sheared…….🤔

Ok, good advice.

Drip fed old thick chain lube I don't use anymore.
It MOVED!

Then I got the 10mm allen key out and managed to remove it.

Problem is, it feels gritty, but I don't know how to clean and relube as its all built in? - very different to campag 8 speed where pawls go flying.

Shimano freehubs are not meant to be serviced. Not sure if you even can, I've never tried. Was always a throw it away and fit a new one job.

RJ The Bike Guy has this video up on Youtube that might be helpful. He also did another video some time ago on how to strip down the Shimano freehubs to replace the bearings inside the freehub.

I squirted loads of wd40 into mine. Cleared it, but every now and then it would seize after that and I just repeated the wd40 trick. I continued to use that freehub for years till the wheel failed cos of too many spoke breakages

Shimano freehubs are not meant to be serviced. Not sure if you even can, I've never tried. Was always a throw it away and fit a new one job.
Shimano sold the tools for stripping them so not sure thats true.

This has been covered before. Lots. Do a search for it. There are videos on the tube too. You will need a special tool, which you can buy on eBay.

Edit.
Tool

Ok, good advice.

Drip fed old thick chain lube I don't use anymore.
It MOVED!

Then I got the 10mm allen key out and managed to remove it.

Problem is, it feels gritty, but I don't know how to clean and relube as its all built in? - very different to campag 8 speed where pawls go flying.

There is a rubber seal on the back that can be taken off easily. It's just a long process rinsing all the gunk out out with WD40 until it runs clear on the other side. When rinsed, letting a thick-ish oil drip through is good enough to keep it moving for sometime.

I think people just replace them as it is easier/quicker/cheaper if you are paying someone to do it. Personally I would always try and fix it myself if I can.

Back