Front Mech dual pull "thing"?

I have come across a product called a mech-verter which did the same job, but didn't need the cable anchor on the frame. I wanted to run xc pro on a crane with top tube cabling. Didn't get one in the end as I found what I think now to have been a fairly rare suntour top mount front mech.

I've been debating this very same thing after picking up a new project frame...

Top tube cable routing, has a mount for a pulley and I want to run Suntour. I only have bottom pull mechs in my stash, but one has a weird lug behind it.
1000032045.jpg

Is this a suntour equivalent of the Shimano work around? It must serve a function, but I can't find any info or indeed work it out.

The mech verter does the job of a pully/guide wheel that most used at the time. You can still buy them now.

Or you used Suntour by 1991 (as always, they were one step ahead of Shimano in useful stuff)
The Suntour top-pull was an out of groupset mech, covering the top and mid range, why it used the mid range styling and setup I don't know and not the XC Pro/Comp/Ltd style

I still think Trek specified a wheel but somehow put the bolt hole too low to use one and had to bodge an alternative.. 😂

Top tube cable routing, has a mount for a pulley and I want to run Suntour. I only have bottom pull mechs in my stash, but one has a weird lug behind it.
View attachment 850218

Is this a suntour equivalent of the Shimano work around? It must serve a function, but I can't find any info or indeed work it out.
No the lug has nothing to do with it, I did know what the lug was for, it may come to me.. But it's bloody early in morning and I'm half awake.

Edit: my mind is saying it is a cable tuck, suntour used a few tuck designs. I could be utterly wrong.
It came before the modern XC series.

Last edited:
Iirc it takes a cable stop.
There are a few front dérailleurs with a built in cable outer stop from this period and earlier

- I thought it meant you could fit these dérailleurs to frames with gear controls on the bars but without f.mech stops on the frame.

... but when you think about it, it seems unnecessary if you can run the inner through a bb guide, as long as you have a stop on the down tube🤔

I've seen it on the possible the 9000 but it's also on the X-1 and maybe a slightly earlier late 80s mech.
I might be thinking of the nibble that sticks out on, which I think is a left over spring rest and they didn't change the part (or just reused) and it became useful for that.

I've never seen anything written about them.
I'd think the early 90s XC series one is just a mould/process leftover. Why add cost.

It would need someone that know the 80s front mechs.
I think the ones you are talking about had threads to enable that.

Last edited:

View attachment 850218

Suntour had a threaded cable stop built into the mech, there was also a slotted version for yours

cable stop.jpg

Latest posts

Back