Front Mech dual pull "thing"?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I recently bought this DX M650 front Mech, at the time I didn't notice the "addition", but looking at it today I think it's there to allow the bottom pull mech to be used as a top pull mech?
Is this a "thing" ? Is it an add-on part?
I can't remember seeing such a thing on a DX front Mech before 🤔

IMG_20240517_160735.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240517_160751.jpg
    IMG_20240517_160751.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240517_160812.jpg
    IMG_20240517_160812.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 15
Yep - often found on early Treks in particular, allowing you to run the outer cable housing right down to it. The cable itself should be retained by a screw/nut on the frame.

Many early frames converted to single speed would be lost without this little bit if being converted back to 3x gearing. So definitely worth keeping in the spares draw if you have no intended use for it.

Keep. Keep. Keep.

Hard to find piece, there is at least on topic many years ago about trying to reproduce or find an alternative.

Everyday is still a school day 🙂
The mech is for my Orange Prestige which is currently running a top pull mech, although it does have the roller on the seat tube for a bottom pull mech, which I was going to bring back into service. Guess I'll add this little addition to my box of "may be of use someday" bits.

I think Trek came up with the idea because they wanted to run the cables along the top tube but shimano didn't make top pull mechs yet. I've got one on my Trek 7000 and I got lucky recently and obtained a spare :cool:

Is it a trek component then?
I've seen a few on front derailleurs.

The cable pinch bolt mounting could also be the fitting point for the (alternative) "top pull conversion" roller, so the derailleur mounting item could have been marketed by a small parts manufacturer as an alternative, then adopted by trek.

Is it a trek component then?
I've seen a few on front derailleurs.

The cable pinch bolt mounting could also be the fitting point for the (alternative) "top pull conversion" roller, so the derailleur mounting item could have been marketed by a small parts manufacturer as an alternative, then adopted by trek.
I don't know who manufactured it. It's possible that Trek made the part or as you say
a small parts manufacturer. Perhaps Trek and Shimano had a conversation and Shimano made it!

These were on Koga Myiata's in 90/91 and prolly 92.
Not saying they "invented" them but it works better then the whole pulley thing.

Back