French Bottom Brackets

Jesper

Old School Hero
Is anybody knowledgeable as to when framebuilders/manufacturers stopped using French threading on BB shells? I am trying to date a frame and was curious if they had stopped (if they even did) using that design at some specific point in time or did it occur over many years?

I don't think there's a cut off point, I have an early 90's frame with a french BB, and also had an early TVT made Look carbon frame (also early 90's, I think) that also had a french BB. I don't think you'll find anything later than early 90's with a french BB though

I don't think there's a cut off point, I have an early 90's frame with a french BB, and also had an early TVT made Look carbon frame (also early 90's, I think) that also had a french BB. I don't think you'll find anything later than early 90's with a french BB though
Thank you for your input! I have an 80's Spanish frame that I was trying to date and was told it was pre-circa '85 due to the French BB. I figured each builder more than likely would use up on hand shells so there would be nothing definitive given the many artisan builders still out there during the 80s. The only other french BBs I have are on early 70's Motobecane and Crescent frames so no way to compare.

Why would a Crescent frame have a French BB? Did Simplex, Huret, Stronglight etc. have a monopoly of component sales in Scandanavia?

Back