Frankenbike - Magnesium Weight Weenie budget build

A bit of an update ... and we're nearly there :)

zelos-3_zps90e1bb0e.jpg

Pictured as you see it it weighs in at 7.3kg and only have the chain, pedals, discs and grips to go so hopefully is going to be just over the 8kg mark when completed - and can save some weight when I finally cut the steerer down on the forks !
The wheels were a pleasant surprise in very nice condition and came with Bontrager Ti skewers too (96g) which I haven't fitted as the Superstar ones are lighter. The front wheel weighs 790g and the rear 918g so just tipping 1700g for the pair (without the tubeless valves). Fitted my Superstar SS kit which is 75g with a 18T cog and spacers / lockring.
Also got hold of something to sit on which are SDG I beam seatpost in 27.2mm size = 202g and Bel Air SL saddle = 255g - ok not the lightest but was cheap, nicely padded and much more comfortable than any of the razor blade design superlight perches. The Ibeam system does give the option of the I Fly saddle at 140g though if my behind can take it ! :O
Got a set of Avid Juicy 7 Carbon brakes too which aren't brilliantly light as the "carbon" bit would suggest - the front was 260g as a comparison against the previously weighed ones - but again were a good deal and I have Juicy Ultimates on my Scalpel so like the design and feel of them. These came with braided hoses which I wonder if are heavier than the standard lines ?

This is shaping up very nicely, and well under the original 20lb target! Your wheels look in better nick than the ones I bagged ;)

Regards

It never fails to amaze me how light some people can get an MTB. My road bike with a light alu frame and carbon forks comes in at about 9Kg, maybe a whisker under.

Good effort so far.

I can recommend the I Fly saddle. I have one on my SX. It's crazy light and I think it's the comfiest saddle own, even mor so than my Spoon. I never got on with that shape Bel Air though; loved the original, didn't like the redesigned one.

Thanks for the comments. :)
I admit I'm cheating a bit though as this is weighed up as a single speed build but having just put an old XTR cassette, 9 speed shifter plus cable and XT rear mech on the scales for a total of 675g (need to add another 100g or so for the extra length of chain too) then I think I have succeeded in my mission of a rigid MTB with gears (ok only 9 but still more than 1) for under £400 being perfectly do-able and probably even less with more carefully chosen parts. I keep picking it up and thinking how light it is even compared to my Scalpel and will be fun to flick round the trails.
Mindmap3 - I'd read the I Fly was a harsh saddle but on your recommendation I'll give it a go if I can find one for a good price as with everyone else's WW builds this is not over 'till its over and another 100g off is worth it ! lol.
And yes I agree with you racefacecannondale - Furious F...ing Freds probably got their name from trying to fit them to tubeless ready rims - grrrrrrr !

Saddles a tough on, and really really personal.

Lots of people rave about the Charge Spoon, but I don't find it that comfy. I think it's too wide with too much padding. But they're cheap, soif it dies on my mucking about bike,I won't be too upset.

I really rate my I Fly. It's the longest serving saddle I've had and was worn well too....it's even still white despite being ridden in some rubbish conditions.

Back