Franken-Marin...finished

So where to go from there?

First thing is to have a good rootle in the cupboards. Ive not got a lot of kit left after 18 months of getting rid of stuff following a household downsize. But I kept some stuff I either loved or thought i might use.

Then a auspicious chance popped up and provided me with an xtr m900 chainset.....needed a "clean" (see seperate thread), but perfect, cheers bob your a star. One quick clean up later......and on it goes with a set of zephyr chainrings. That's a start and quite a good one as I've got some other xtr bits in the box......including then i find.....another chainset..... 🤣

Front and rear mechs came off a mates touring bike some many moons ago, brakes i think came off ebay when they were still £30 a set of 4 (arrrr ummmmm remember those days.....ummmm). All wanted a quick " clean" but thats half the fun for me...I love a restoration job......don't know why i retired really!

So im well on my way

Attachments

• 20210515_093436.jpg
    20210515_093436.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210523_121051.jpg
    20210523_121051.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210529_135419.jpg
    20210529_135419.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210523_120322.jpg
    20210523_120322.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 44
I'm still in awe of what you did with those cranks! 😎
Now less chatty chat and find more parts to bolt on, there's several of us waiting to see what happens next!

Yeah, this has already taken a turn from ummmmm to ahhhhhhh.

So I look forward to seeing what gets thrown on it next!

I've been searching for about a million years for some really good m261s.....with no luck, and i was about to gut a pair of wheels for the rims, when the great Clockwork davo, came up trunps with an interesting pair of wheels. Good price and he was quite honest about the condition and that they needed a good tweek or 2 to get them true.

So I've ended up with a pair of m730 / 732 hubs on wolber AT15 rims. Ive never had a pair of these rims, i believe they got used on kiliflyers back in the day. Its also kinda twisted my arm a little to go 7 speed and stick with thumbies.

When i got them the rims were fantastic condition, just needing a wash. The hubs too just needed a polish and new grease/ bearings, but as Dave very honestly said, something was a bit adrift on the trueness, both laterally and radially.

As they had a mix of nipples, i couldn't even back them off and press reset; so I did what any self respecting garage monkey does and took them apart !

Nice opportunity to clean, polish and rebuild the hubs and start the build again with new nipples and replace any damaged spokes ( the chain had obviously gone "over the top" at some point).

The rims were actually dead true, i think somebody had tried in the past to pull out a slight buckle and actually made the whole situation worse. Tensions were all over the place, although the wheel was fairly true......not good.

My honest opinion is that fixing buckled wheels, is far harder than building from scratch, as "just tightening a few spokes" ( how i often hear it described), is really not the solution!

So here's some pics before, after cleaning and back together ready to go in.

Cheers Davo

Attachments

• 20210628_180850.jpg
    20210628_180850.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210704_165915.jpg
    20210704_165915.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210704_165926.jpg
    20210704_165926.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210628_111943.jpg
    20210628_111943.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210628_113012.jpg
    20210628_113012.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
looking good mate - they did indeed get specced on Saracens - but those also had a different decal with the saracen logo on.

I've been searching for about a million years for some really good m261s.....with no luck, and i was about to gut a pair of wheels for the rims, when the great Clockwork davo, came up trunps with an interesting pair of wheels. Good price and he was quite honest about the condition and that they needed a good tweek or 2 to get them true.

So I've ended up with a pair of m730 / 732 hubs on wolber AT15 rims. Ive never had a pair of these rims, i believe they got used on kiliflyers back in the day. Its also kinda twisted my arm a little to go 7 speed and stick with thumbies.

When i got them the rims were fantastic condition, just needing a wash. The hubs too just needed a polish and new grease/ bearings, but as Dave very honestly said, something was a bit adrift on the trueness, both laterally and radially.

As they had a mix of nipples, i couldn't even back them off and press reset; so I did what any self respecting garage monkey does and took them apart !

Nice opportunity to clean, polish and rebuild the hubs and start the build again with new nipples and replace any damaged spokes ( the chain had obviously gone "over the top" at some point).

The rims were actually dead true, i think somebody had tried in the past to pull out a slight buckle and actually made the whole situation worse. Tensions were all over the place, although the wheel was fairly true......not good.

My honest opinion is that fixing buckled wheels, is far harder than building from scratch, as "just tightening a few spokes" ( how i often hear it described), is really not the solution!

So here's some pics before, after cleaning and back together ready to go in.

Cheers Davo
They look awesome 😎
Glad I could help 😉

they did indeed get specced on Saracens - but those also had a different decal with the saracen logo on.
Cheers. Thats doubled my knowledge of these wheels!

Although i once owned a yellow tufftrax to commute on in 87, I kinda lost touch with Saracen.

Btw, for those interested in such things the hubs are both dated Feb 92....so spot on for the frame.

Also, dorris has just suggested that people might like to know what I / neighbours were listening to.....just to help set the mood of the worksop.... at the time the operation in question took place.

Frame prep = ACDC "back in black"

Searching for bits and general polishing = smashing pumpkins " rotten apples"

Wheelbuilding = Peter Tosh "gold collection"

Back