Frame identification help please

Interesting frame, pump pegs and mudguard eyes take it away from the Raleigh / Carlton racing stable. Paint fade and 531 decals look later than the frame.

The shot in stays and reduced shore lines put it in the upper end of the builders market for the era which looks like mid ish 70's or maybe a bit earlier.

Hi vcballbat,
Thanks for your reply and interesting info about my frame. It has got 2 holes for a headbadge, so a Carlton frame?
This news actually gives me a bit of a dilemma as to how to tackle the restoration. I have to admit I thought I was buying just a half decent touring frame when I bid on it. Now the thought of restoring a lovely vintage racing machine is very appealing... And more expensive! I could get the extra braze ons removed when it is stripped for painting. I will have to have a think. Any more help & advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. David
Two holes so it's a Carlton Professional, the extra braz-ons may have been a special build request as they are from the era, Raleigh used right side brake cable guides for both Weinmann side and centre pulls. Don't think it was a cyclo-cross conversion as the pump peg would dig into your right shoulder. Next thing is to look for evidence of chrome under the paint on the forks, rear triangle and dropouts though it could have been media blasted 🤔

Two holes so it's a Carlton Professional, the extra braz-ons may have been a special build request as they are from the era, Raleigh used right side brake cable guides for both Weinmann side and centre pulls. Don't think it was a cyclo-cross conversion as the pump peg would dig into your right shoulder. Next thing is to look for evidence of chrome under the paint on the forks, rear triangle and dropouts though it could have been media blasted 🤔

Thanks again vcballbat, and for the link to the article.
It's funny, I saw this frame on ebay and it just looked a bit special even to my untrained eye. But it certainly doesn't fit all the 'pigeon holes' perfectly.
I definitely think it has been refinished previously, but it needs another spray job now.
I am leaning back towards making it up as a tourer because I find it hard to justify the full restoration with chrome. But I do like a bit of 70's bling! I think the colour will be that lovely light blue for sure.
I would love to know if it was a special request build, but I guess we'll never know for sure.
Thanks to everyone for your help with my first post and request. I will put some photos of the finished job on here. David

Thanks again vcballbat, and for the link to the article.
It's funny, I saw this frame on ebay and it just looked a bit special even to my untrained eye. But it certainly doesn't fit all the 'pigeon holes' perfectly.
I definitely think it has been refinished previously, but it needs another spray job now.
I am leaning back towards making it up as a tourer because I find it hard to justify the full restoration with chrome. But I do like a bit of 70's bling! I think the colour will be that lovely light blue for sure.
I would love to know if it was a special request build, but I guess we'll never know for sure.
Thanks to everyone for your help with my first post and request. I will put some photos of the finished job on here. David
Can you post close up pictures of the fork crown and as I mentioned before scratch some paint away to see if you still have chrome, also look for chrome on the cantilever bosses on the fork.

I've had a gentle scrape at the paint and it definitely looks like there's chrome underneath, possibly all the way down the forks (but doesn't show up very well in the 3rd photo). But no sign of chrome on the cantilever bosses, so I'm guessing that they are later additions. IMG_20230310_133602.jpg IMG_20230310_133616.jpg IMG_20230310_133708.jpg

I've had a gentle scrape at the paint and it definitely looks like there's chrome underneath, possibly all the way down the forks (but doesn't show up very well in the 3rd photo). But no sign of chrome on the cantilever bosses, so I'm guessing that they are later additions. View attachment 719072View attachment 719073View attachment 719074
Good news to find the chrome, the forks would have been full chrome and just removed locally for the braze on, this confirms they're a later addition. The brake, gear cable guides and pump pegs i think are a special order by the Carlton Works as this is offered for the Giro and Contre La Montre frames it would be the same for the Mk1V Professional. The paint will have to be removed with paint stripper and the condition of the chrome assessed, the rear triangle would have been chrome and possibly extra chrome on the frame 👍 Might be worth moving this thread to reader's road bikes.

1972-pl1-1024x649.jpg 1972-pl2-1024x651.jpg D16-1024x701.jpg

Back