Frame identification help please

DavePH

Retro Newbie
I have just bought this frame off eBay, and I wonder if anyone could help identify the maker or brand please? It has got Reynolds 531 decals, but I have no idea if the frame really is made from this. The cantilever brake bosses would suggest a touring bike, but there are no rack or bottle braze ons. The forks definitely have Brev Campagnolo drop outs, but I can't see any of the same on the rear. To my untrained eyes the seat stay lugs are a bit different to most I have seen before. Also there are rivet holes for a head tube badge, so I'm assuming that this was removed and the frame resprayed. It is very light weight, so could easily be a Reynolds steel frame. Other than that... All help appreciated. Thanks. David IMG_20230306_131229.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230306_130833.jpg
    IMG_20230306_130833.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230306_131036.jpg
    IMG_20230306_131036.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 23
Looks like its a Raleigh or Carlton Professional Mk1V , the G prefix frame number is 1972. Built at the Carlton factory at Worksop with Reynolds 531db and Campagnolo dropouts, the best frame/bike available from Raleigh. The cantilever brakes, gear and brake cable guides are possible later additions. Has it got three holes for a Raleigh headbadge or two for Carlton?

Last edited:
Looks like its a Raleigh or Carlton Professional Mk1V , the G prefix frame number is 1972. Built at the Carlton factory at Worksop with Reynolds 531db and Campagnolo dropouts, the best frame/bike available from Raleigh. The cantilever brakes, gear and brake cable guides are possible later additions. Has it got three holes for a Raleigh headbadge or two for Carlton?
Hi vcballbat,
Thanks for your reply and interesting info about my frame. It has got 2 holes for a headbadge, so a Carlton frame?
This news actually gives me a bit of a dilemma as to how to tackle the restoration. I have to admit I thought I was buying just a half decent touring frame when I bid on it. Now the thought of restoring a lovely vintage racing machine is very appealing... And more expensive! I could get the extra braze ons removed when it is stripped for painting. I will have to have a think. Any more help & advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. David

Maybe as it’s a MkIV it should look like this if you are renovating it
8751FBD1-82FF-4B7B-AB27-A78CB6770480.png

The fork rake is different to Nob's photo but did Raleigh (Industries) use different rakes across the brands? My first thought was that it is a Carlton rather than a Raleigh but I do remember some Raleighs having the 'fade' paint finish.

Just a thought... Perhaps it might have been used for cyclo-cross? Cantilever brakes were probably better than centre pulls? And a slightly more 'gentle' fork rake? Don't really know what I'm talking about because I have never raced or owned a cyclo-cross bike.

Now my thoughts are turning to the re-chroming. Has any one got any companies that they can recommend? I'm London/Kent area, but will travel for decent work.
All the beautiful Raleigh/Carlton Professionals I have been shown are swaying me in to a full restoration.

Latest posts

Back