Raleigh "not a Stratos" any help what frame it is?

3wheeler7

rBotM Winner
Hi a mate bought this bike, it's badged as a Stratos but I'm sure it's not.
The seller was the widow of an ex-Raleigh employee and the bike was like this when he "got" it with the exception of the flat bars. I suspect it was decalled as a Stratos to get it "out the side door".
My question is :- What frame do you think it is - the frame number starts WB and numbered for 1982 - which I think makes it a Raleigh Lightweight Division (Nottingham) after the move from Worksop.
I've had a Stratos and as I remember they were not 531 DB, not red and not one of Raleighs' Lightweight line-up.
What may be a clue is the seat stay tops which are concave flattened - I've seen this on Raleighs a few times but can't remember which models had that feature. Other non-Stratos features are the chain hanger on the right rear seat stay, no mudguards mounting lugs, the position of the bare rear brake cable stops on the top tube and the bottle cage mountings. The rear drop outs are threaded for adjusting screws but they don't appear to be stamped with a makers name.
Anyone help?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail-2.jpg
    thumbnail-2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I have seen some Red Stratos bikes but not with those typedecals & from memory none were 531 - someone may correct me but not to familiar with this model.

my Carlton GP has the same hollowed seatstay joins, I've never been convinced it's a GP but the paint when I got it looked original. the joys of Raleigh/Carlton of that era, they turned out some pretty random stuff that wasn't completely identical to the spec sheet.

Looks like it's a Gran Sport 12 frame with the window lugs and Vitus rear dropouts though divers bell instead of full cable guides. The fork looks to be for the Competition 12 or Rapide models, does it have Vitus dropouts ?

I've not seen the bike in person yet but will take a look at the drop-outs. Gran Sport sounds like a good shout though. Apart from the forks the brake cable stops are the strange thing as bare cable stops are usually below the centre line of the top tube - not above. Looking at the catalogues the '82 Gran Sport did have concave set stay tops, but apparently changed to conventional flat in '83.
The bare frame and forks were probably surplus parts and the bike was built up using run of the mill production components.
Being a Nottingham lad I've heard so many tales of what went on at Raleigh on the night shift that it seems anything was possible, including frames being taken out of skips and built up!
As the original owner of this 'Stratos' is now deceased it's doubtful that the full story of how this bike came about will ever be known.

the GP has matching forks, no cut outs in the lugs and the missing the cable guides along to the top. (note original..... anything) so unlikely fit. just those seatstay joins.
22901192746_50c24b795e_o.jpg

I've not seen the bike in person yet but will take a look at the drop-outs. Gran Sport sounds like a good shout though. Apart from the forks the brake cable stops are the strange thing as bare cable stops are usually below the centre line of the top tube - not above. Looking at the catalogues the '82 Gran Sport did have concave set stay tops, but apparently changed to conventional flat in '83.
The bare frame and forks were probably surplus parts and the bike was built up using run of the mill production components.
Being a Nottingham lad I've heard so many tales of what went on at Raleigh on the night shift that it seems anything was possible, including frames being taken out of skips and built up!
As the original owner of this 'Stratos' is now deceased it's doubtful that the full story of how this bike came about will ever be known.
Having the cable stops on the top of the tube gives the frame the high or low end brake option 👍 Your frame with the Vitus rear dropouts is the same as this French market one just with different fork crown 👍

Screenshot_20230331-164050~2.png Screenshot_20230331-164142.png Screenshot_20230331-164109.png

Not sure about the drop out manufacturer until I see the bike but that one looks a pretty good match! What model is it -RRA or Team Replica?

I've Googled the bike forums and found a couple of frames that look similar - both RRAs from the early 80s - one from France and one from Holland, pics below.

Attachments

• france.jpg
    france.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 5
  • holland.jpg
    holland.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 6
Back