Flying Scot - Continental Tandem

Well this weekend was busy with a few other chores and the weather didn't want to play nicely when I did have a bit of time but regardless I did get a bit of riding and a good amount of tinkering done.
Managed to finally get round to swapping out the handlebars on the Flying Scot tandem and eventually sorting the gears out properly. Ended up pulling quite a bit of it apart on Saturday afternoon/evening , starting with the bars and levers before taking the brakes apart as well as the shifters, which was a nightmare as one of the bar ends was threaded. Just wanted to give the frame itself a proper degrease and clean, something it really needed before fresh grease all round and start swapping the bits out. Ended up changing the bars for a new set of Nitto B36 Randonneur bars, Tektro levers with new inner and outer cables, new gear cables and sort the front mech out as it has never worked right since we had it. Rack is off to get at the back to clean but also made it easier with the brakes etc. Ended up ditching the old silver mud guards and fitting a set of lightly used red Bluemel Popular guards I had in the loft. Suite it I think. Though front is a bit shorter than the others. So with new bar tape the front is all new and feeling nicer than the mismatch that was on there.
Of course I had to go for a decent ride to make sure it all worked of course. Though it did feel weird riding the tandem on my own.
The rack will go back on tomorrow night as I have Thursday and Friday off work and hopefully Caleb and I will get across to Orkney for a day or two. So needed to have it all set for him and me too of course. Just small changes but felt much better.

Jamie

IMG_6237 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_6230 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_6239 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr
Looking good, the red populars are just the ticket

Thanks guys, confirms I made the right choice :)
To be fair, it was actually Heathers suggestion as I had a set of SKS standard plastic chromo that I got in the sale to replace the old ones and when I had it all apart she was looking out the kitchen window and reminded me these were in the loft, so went and tried them and true enough, we thought they made the red stand out. I had the red brake cable for a while waiting until I changed the bars and levers. I have since put the rack back on and generally tidied it up a fair bit. Amazing what a good clean and grease will do, both for the looks and the ride.

Jamie

I hope everyone here has had a lovely Christmas.
We certainly had a nice one up here, just spent with the family but had four days off and managed to fill each day with time spent doing things together and generally relaxing. The weather was also very kind up here and I managed to get a ride in each day in the afternoons.
Christmas day I suggested we go for a ride after lunch on the tandem, I wasn't really expecting a positive reaction from Caleb as it was Christmas, but no, he was so pleased to get out for a ride together. So we bundled up as it was very cold and we managed a good hour or so out riding the backroads enjoying the clear weather.

Jamie

Christmas Day 2021 Flying Scot tandem ride by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Looking out towards home down on the coast and also across to Hoy in the background.

Thought it was about time I updated this thread, not that we had done much up until now other than our local rides that I am sure people were getting bored with, we were so don't worry ;)
We had great weather up here for a change and while it was fairly breezy over the weekend the sunshine tended to make up for it.
Caleb and I managed a couple of rides this weekend.
First up was on Saturday afternoon when we managed to get out for a ride down to Forsinard on the Flying Scot tandem. We drove out to near Strathy and then rode south off of the main road. We did about 25 mile all in riding from just in on the Strathy road, down to the tower at Forsinard and then back up the valley. Caleb did really fantastic as this was by far the furthest he had been and we were also pushing into the mother of all headwinds on the way down. We did manage a very fast run back up the valley which he was so excited about. We stopped at the tower for snacks we had brought with us and fuelled further with Wine Gums for the run back. despite the wind he loved it and now just wants to go further and further afield which is great. He keeps asking to go back to Orkney for the weekend with him on his small tourer and me on the cargo but now he wants to go on the tandem, fully loaded. So all good.

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Then today we had a community ride in Thurso for the Thurso Development Trust. It was a ride round the town and bike check and activities for the kids with demo bikes etc, primarily aimed at getting families out and riding.. A decent if small turnout but it is a start and there is a push for it now. Was nice to meet some other locals and we ended up going for our own ride around the harbour and up the river. So a nice if cool afternoon.

Hope everyone else had a nice weekend too.

Jamie

I dip in and out of here from time to time for the spectacular scenery. Always a few shots that make me properly want to ride where you do!

Latest posts

Back