Flat bar gravel bike.

Moqi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Finally got this thing rolling. Still need to convert the tyres to tubeless (the tyres and the wheels are both tubeless compatible). My first effort wasn't very successful - tyres wouldn't seal no matter how much sealant was in there, so i put tubes in as a stop gap. the gears need fettling as they are a bit crunchy. It's a Sonder Camino Al - the crank is a xtr 960 that was jones'ed. It's running 38t at the front and 40 at the rear . It's got a dropper post as i've injured my hip/thigh. The tyres are panaracer graver kings - colour edition.

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_184813358_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200831_184813358_HDR.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 1,792
  • IMG_20200831_184745238_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200831_184745238_HDR.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 1,787
Re:

Looks great, how does it ride? Can I ask where you got the chainring from or did you modify the crank to take 104mm bCD rings?

Re:

It rides great. I had to change the cassette to a 10 speed 11-42 with a deore m6000 derailleur as i couldnt get the indexing right with the 11-40 9 speed cassette. It's become my go to bike - i've swapped the tyres to 43's from 38s and stuck mudguards on. In suffolk there's no mountains so it's perfect for the bridleways and footpaths that are the main off road opportunities round here.

I got the chainring from these guys https://garbaruk.com/102-bcd-round.html ... category=1. It came very quickly ( before covid) as well.

I'm pleased now that the gearings sorted and it's got mudguards. (still haven't converted to tubeless which is on my things to do list). I've also taken off the front chain guide as it doesn't need it - had no problems with the chain (rear mech is a clutch mech and the front thick thin.)

Re:

this is why i love and hate the bike trade!

"flat bar gravel bike" so a rigid 29er then? or a hybrid? it's basically all the same isn't it!

i have a similar build, my second Demon Frameworks, i wanted an MTB based commuter, basically it's a big bmx with a alfine hub, or a rigid 29er, has 1.95 road-ish tyres, so arguably a hybrid size if quoted in millimetres.

funny how the modern "gravel bike" can cover a lot of different variants of bike.

Re:

@johnnyboy - it's flat bar because i've damaged my wrists and using drops is very painful to use the brakes or change gear.

Re: Re:

Moqi":jxm9pdpc said:
@johnnyboy - it's flat bar because i've damaged my wrists and using drops is very painful to use the brakes or change gear.

yeah, it wasn't a dig, i just find it weird that the gravel tag sort of covers a world of sins! :)

Re:

The gravel tag is a funny one. Probably created by the industry to flog more bikes. Among my bikes I’ve got a newish gravel bike (Giant Revolt) and I’ve got a 1997 Dawes Galaxy with nobbly tyres on.
The Dawes is by far and away the better gravel bike.

Looking good!

Is that a front deralleur on an x1 crank?

I like the look of ztto pedals too - are these bearingless?

not a derailleur but a chain guard which i removed when i went 1 x10 with a clutch mech. the pedals are bearings and du bushings. They were £15 off aliexpress. as long as you occasionally pump them full of grease for the du bushings they should last for years.

Back