Flat bar conversion

KenG

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All
After much chewing over I've decided that to complete my 1973 Fred Baker restoration by going down the flat bar route, at 60 with a bad back I think it's time, so I'm looking for some nice riser bars , flat bar levers and a 22.2 riser stem, thanks in advance.

KenG

KenG":33yabt68 said:
Hi All
After much chewing over I've decided that to complete my 1973 Fred Baker restoration by going down the flat bar route, at 60 with a bad back I think it's time, so I'm looking for some nice riser bars , flat bar levers and a 22.2 riser stem, thanks in advance.

KenG

Something like this?

FobpTqG.jpg

aw3mUQa.jpg

Re: Re:

KenG":3g2939io said:
Maybe a bit more rise on the bars but that looks perfect!

Ok, I used a quill stem adaptor 22.2mm to 1" 1/8, an ahead stem I went for 31.8mm because it gave me more bar options in the width I wanted, I used optimum balance products flat bars, and Shimano Deore DX M071 MTB shiters/brake levers (which are expensive imho)but they have the correct pull for the brakes, as for grips take your pick there are loads, I went for DMR death grips £16 ish with good reviews lots of colours, luckily I like them and that's about it.

Re:

Thanks for the advice Spitball, yours looks spot on, I've used quilll adapters before on mtb's and liked the results, it's an avenue I may explore with this one.

Personally, I think a quill stem and riser bars is prettier than using an a stem converter. You’ll gain 30-40mm rise from the bars. Don’t forget they come in different amounts of sweep too. On the subject of sweep, don’t discount North Road shape bars for a more relaxed position too.

If you have Shimano calliper brakes, there are some basic Shimano flat bar road levers for about £15-20 that work really well and don’t look out of place on a skinny bike.

I’d be looking at:
Cinelli 1a stem in silver
Silver eBay risers or North Road bars
Shimano levers in black or silver

Re:

Hi johnny69

I'd like to try and obtain period parts but that's looking unlikely , I've seen flat bar levers by weinmann but bars seen to be an issue unless new, I've looked at North road bars and think they may be the answer. Luckily I'm not in a rush to get it finished and will continue the search.

Re:

I have a pair of Velo Orange left bank bars and an unknown aero type stem and a pair of Weinmann straight blade levers in the shed. Will sort out some pictures tomorrow if you are interested ?

Back