Fixing a Victorian

Sometimes going that little bit to far to just get it a little better is when it all goes wrong..knowing when to say good enough perfect is time to stand back with a beer and say...
Done.
Exactly.

It got sunny this afternoon and I noticed some brazing I couldn’t see before. I don’t know if these are manufactured lugs or if their made in house. The area around the seat post is pretty amazing. I wonder how they got it so flush? 381138E6-2664-4FDC-991E-23ADBB20F3F8.jpeg C789B118-7D6B-4C29-A2EC-D7A07DBC4062.jpeg

Well I'm going to say it's some kind of flaring and lamination ....maybe with an internal sleeve dressed into seat tube? No doubt it's an absolute work or art and wizadry.
Infact I'm going to be so bold as to say....even as I'm not a frame builder...that modern frame builders need to see this...theres tricks here to be learnt...it's skill and labour intensive factor 100!
Thin wall and big diameters.....130 years old...lightweight....🤔 ..ooh I'm wobbly !
Something tells me the seatpost collet is captive right? There's no way it comes out? Goes down?
Sounds nuts but if that could be xray'd it's secrets would be revealed.
I really do have a bit of crush on that seat cluster 😊
Woz ....where are you...I think your cool calm inebriated mind needs to decipher this!

Reactions: Woz
It’s 10C this morning, going to be 30C this afternoon. Off in a Porsche Carrera to the St. Ignace, Michigan Car Show, with a day out in Lake Huron on Mackinac Island. I’ll post pictures of bicycle hordes and draft horses later. Motor vehicles have been banned there forever. It will probably be cold on the Island.

It’s 10C this morning, going to be 30C this afternoon. Off in a Porsche Carrera to the St. Ignace, Michigan Car Show, with a day out in Lake Huron on Mackinac Island. I’ll post pictures of bicycle hordes and draft horses later. Motor vehicles have been banned there forever. It will probably be cold on the Island.
If the the little porky is an air-cooled job you may post a pic of that....quite like a proper Porsche 😊

I still don't understand the basic principals of how that system works.

Mickey, can you draw a cross section or point me to something on the web. I'm totally lost in the terminology too.

How it's made should be easy enough to figure out, but I can't even visualise how a seat post stays in it and how it is adjusted.

Have a good day out! That sounds really cool.

Some collet thingies for you... IMG_20220623_125022_966.jpg
Basically a thread pulls a tube that's a proper good sized fit to whatever goes inside it....the collet at some point on it will have a taper...that taper pulls up against a shoulder making the internal diameter close up....grip! And a lot of! It's serious deluxe way of getting hold of a seatpost! But I do see why theyve done it...as it's possible to do it so fine and delicate that it would use less material than a normal slit and pinch set up externally! Probably inspired by the guy working on a colleted engineering machine....as in ooh that's nice well do that 😂

Basically the little tube that sticks out the seat tube must have slits in it ....and be either threaded externally or the nut threads to the seat tube... I think 🤔

Back