Fixing a Victorian

Some great bike handling with a bust front wheel. This really could have gone very wrong.

Agreed! What kind of spoke count would that be on track tandem?
I've never had a wheelset with less than 32...low counts scare the bejesus out of me...one from 36 you can can carry on your way,one from 32 turn around a gently home!

Agreed! What kind of spoke count would that be on track tandem?
I've never had a wheelset with less than 32...low counts scare the bejesus out of me...one from 36 you can can carry on your way,one from 32 turn around a gently home!

Couldn't say for sure Mickey - 36 front, 40 rear perhaps?

🤔 Yeah, guess the wheels would need some beef about them.

It's not like two skinny climbers on those tandems, they look typical sprinter stocky type with some upper body bulk too.

🤔 Yeah, guess the wheels would need some beef about them.

It's not like two skinny climbers on those tandems, they look typical sprinter stocky type with some upper body bulk too.

Can't say ive really thought about it before but I presume the way they throw it around in the banking that must add a lot of strange loading on the spokes!? It's rare to get camber like that on the road...maybe sometimes off-road !
Had 3 go in one hit on a rear wheel ...that was a 36 spoke...could never get it true again!

The skim coats are all sanded, I finished with 400 wet dry. It didn’t take long as most if the work was done by the mesh strips. It’s been wiped with solvent. I’m now going to erect the portable spray booth. The weather is predicted to be no good for painting for the following two days and then we will have a stretch of 20C. If I can get some calmer weather I’ll be all set. With the booth on the south side of the garage it will be good as the prevailing winds are from the north, seldom any other direction. As long as it’s under 15 km/hr. I’ll be fine. Today is a good paint day but the booth isn’t ready.

All the parallel gouges on the dock are from my shotgun. I kill five foot water snakes that sun themselves there. If kids see them that’s it, they’ll never swim there again. There isn’t a shortage of them, there are always plenty and this whole area is nothing but lakes so they are always moving in. I just keep them off my property.
F218EB32-2E6D-4EF4-A8FD-381CF18A65D3.jpeg

Last edited:
I've just done a little chant to the god's of fine painting weather.....they've responded well....your all set 👍
Anticipation is off the scale here.....so looking forward to seeing the result of all your efforts crowned in paint sir!

I've just done a little chant to the god's of fine painting weather.....they've responded well....your all set 👍
Anticipation is off the scale here.....so looking forward to seeing the result of all your efforts crowned in paint sir!
I tried to put up my paint booth but quit after the floor tarp was down. It’s 25C out, too hot to do anything. I hate heat, I don’t live between Lakes Michigan and Superior to have to put up with this. 16C, that’s the best. Perhaps it will cool down this evening and I can finish putting it up? You get used to cooler temps and the body doesn’t adjust for a few warm days. Most everyone gets cranky and miserable when it gets above 25C.

I tried to put up my paint booth but quit after the floor tarp was down. It’s 25C out, too hot to do anything. I hate heat, I don’t live between Lakes Michigan and Superior to have to put up with this. 16C, that’s the best. Perhaps it will cool down this evening and I can finish putting it up? You get used to cooler temps and the body doesn’t adjust for a few warm days. Most everyone gets cranky and miserable when it gets above 25C.
I'm like a lizard...as long as it's not humid then hotter the better 😁

Ok, big day coming up for paint. Thursday, 21C, sunny, winds light and variable. Rain until then. Should be perfect, unless I have to go to a family reunion, which is not fun with 17 kids who’s names I can’t remember, or care to. They think I’m great, don’t know why. I take them on adventures like mountain biking that they have never done and rock collecting, basically I feed them to the bugs. Bugs don’t bother me anymore, pain receptors and immune system are shot from so many years of bites.

Reactions: Woz
My latest thought on paint is like my pedals, can’t decide what to do. I’m thinking about trying to spray or wipe graphite lube on the paint. Nano balls of basically dirt will penetrate into the satin paint. I’m going to try this on some old frames in my junk pile to see how it looks and stays on. It makes a mess to clean up so it should penetrate into the paint pores. How to make my pristine white tires look old? Perhaps a rubbing of bentonite mixed with powdered charcoal? Any ideas?

I don't know if you can get it, but one way to do the graphite coating is to use grate polish - it's some kind of graphitey paste.

Back