First UK production mtb a Ridgeback?

Re:

The 'Alloy Bullneck with chrom-moly shaft' stem fitted to both those bikes is the same as those shown fitted to the 'Ridgeback S' in 1985 as shown in the 1985 Madison Freewheel catalogue. These stems were not fitted to any of the Ridgeback ATBs shown in the 1984 catalogue.

Historically, the big difference between these budget Ridgebacks and early other mountain bikes sold in Britain in the mid 1980s was their low circa £200.00 price tag. That was half the price of a Dawes Ranger and £115.00 less than a Saracen or FW. Evans ATB.

For those on a limited budget, wanting to get into mountain biking these standard model Ridgebacks were the only option.

Re:

I bought this Ridgeback the other month,the frame number finishes with 81,could this be the date of manufacture or is it just a coincidence seeing as Ridgeback started in 1983

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    713.2 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_2228.JPG
    IMG_2228.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 723
  • IMG_2226.JPG
    IMG_2226.JPG
    631.2 KB · Views: 719
Re: Re:

TZEDS":3bu2uom6 said:
I bought this Ridgeback the other month,the frame number finishes with 81,could this be the date of manufacture or is it just a coincidence seeing as Ridgeback started in 1983
Ridgeback state on their website that:

"1983 : The first Ridgeback, the beginning Ridgeback launched the UK’s first mountain bike".
https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/files/catal ... alogue.pdf
I have a 1984 Freewheel catalogue that also states that they first sold a mountain bike model in 1983.

So it looks certain that the 81 at the end of your frame number is just a random coincidence. :(

However, the evidence earlier in this thread regarding custom made and personally imported mountain bikes shows that their website statement is technically incorrect. It would be more correct to say that in 1983 they launched the first mass-produced mountain bike to be imported into the UK. Though in the 1884 Freewheel catalogue they do claim that the 1983 bike was designed in Britain.

Geoff Apps' Cleland bikes do predate Ridgeback, but they were batch produced in the UK, not mass-produced and imported from the Far-East like the Ridgebacks. Because the Apps' design was not derived from the US mountain bikes, and did not use their geometry or wheel size, it could argued that the Clelands were not technically mountain-bikes.

Re:

Who actually in Japan(i assume) made the bikes for ridgeback.As they were imported i was wondering if it could have been made in 81,then imported in 83 under the ridgeback logo.I know Araya made for Muddy Fox.It would be interesting to see pictures of similar early Ridgeback frame numbers for comparison.Any body out there in RB land.

So could mine be an 83? I read on here somewhere that Ridgeback started in Canada in 83 but didn't enter Europe till '84,
so maybe mines an '84?
It has Madison seat, bi-plane forks, slingshot SR stem and seems all original down to brake blocks and tyres!
Amazing huh?

Attachments

• IMG_1992 2.JPG
    IMG_1992 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
Re:

That looks like Brighton. I started this thread with a Ridgeback in Brighton, one that got away... but it looks like a different bike.

Re:

You are correct Sir in that it is BTN, however I saw yr post which is why I’ve continued with it although I have since been told to start a new thread, I am a Noob after all!
Yes this one is different to yours so maybe there are 2 in the U.K. !!?

Re: Ridgeback

Ah nostalgia! :shock:
Just such a grey/green Ridgeback was my first MTB. Bought new by my brother in '84, sold to me in '88 and then, only two weeks after I brought it to my home in the Netherlands, stolen :x and never recovered.
Lovely to see one again, thank you, zaskarking, for posting this foto.

Back