boy"O"boy's 1989 Ridgeback 604 SIS

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Here's another new arrival in the boy"O"boy collection.
I've lusted after one of these since 1989 after reading the Freewheel catalogue from that year over and over again. For me, there were several standout bikes in there....The Kestrel MXZ, near the back of the Catalogue - The Pace RC100, but probably the most lasting impression came from the Ridgeback line up. The poster boys were the Fillet Brazed Tange Prestige 605 SIS and the Tange Prestige 604 SIS - both Shimano M730/32 XT equipped

That Freewheel Catalogue has a lot to answer for!
1000013931.jpg
604 SIS
1000013933.jpg
1000013932.jpg
605 SIS

So.
Post dry January. A couple of beers surrounded by bikes, I dig out my copy for a reminisce of that Ridgeback range. Intrigued if any 605 or 604's have come to light recently, I do a search and this thread comes up -

After messaging the OP with a hopeful Is this still available? - unfortunately it had long gone.
But it gave hope that at least there are some out there!
Then @XTSTIMAN posts this thread in the eBay market place section

At first it seems like it's the same frame in the Karma thread with the Seatpost removed, but then a closer look through the pics shows it actually another one in the same frame size in much better condition.

It looks like my luck is in. After very little deliberation....the trigger was pulled and I was the owner of one of my 1989 lusts.
I've been reading the Freewheel Catalogue again most nights in anticipation of it's arrival.

boy"O"boy

Last edited:
More 1000013902.jpg
Stem needs a repaint in white but the spatter finish on the blue is very tidy original Patina. No repaint needed here.
1000013904.jpg
Tange Prestige
1000013905.jpg
1000013906.jpg
1000013909.jpg

Easy build spec this one. Restore to catalogue spec.
Shimano M730/32 XT throughout. Already have most of the parts needed.

Sourcing original spec wheels is probably going to be the time consuming part.
Mavic M6CD rims on M730 XT hubs. The rear spacing is 130mm not the 135mm 7spd it mentions in the catalogue spec.
I've checked the frame over to see if it's been forced or cold set into the smaller 130mm rear spacing - but it's all mint original undamaged, so it must have been specced with 6spd rather than 7 from new.
I've no issues building my own wheels so most likely I'll search out either Mavic M6CD or the 605 specced M7CD rims and then depending on the hole count, search out the correct hubs after as they are more readily available.
Of course, the ideal scenario would be a mint pre build pair!

The shopping list also includes -

Shimano M731 bear traps
Avocet R20 saddle (in the earlier colours)
M730 XT seat post in 26.8mm flavour.
A yellow Blackburn Mtn bottle cage.
Ritchey Duro amberwalls 1.9"

Expect slow Updates to progress whilst I source parts. I've also got the Serotta Off-road Pro flex to finish - that's currently awaiting it's clear coat in the paint shop and then a build can start on that. Parts all sourced for that one though.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
Same here with that Freewheel catalogue. Everyday in school we would pore over it, dreaming of owning the bikes and all the Shimano kit.
Very happy memories.
Think there's a few members of the forum that wore their copy out thumbing through and creating build specs. My current copy still has the mail order form in it.
-Add item codes to order form in pen
-Add the total up yourself
-Either write in your Access/Visa card details or enclose a cheque for the amount you have calculated.
-Post in the free post envelope.
-Wait 14 days for your order to be processed and posted.

How did we cope with the Anticipation!?
Very nice! That’s in remarkable condition.
Looking forward to this. As a Ridgeback fan boy, I'm very pleased with this one!

Cheers
boy"O"boy

I saw that frame ! I have the 89 freewheel catalog as well. My bible back then, I ended up with an 89 602lx. And I’ve got one! Recently sold a 603 frame

Looking forward to this ! Almost as much as the Proflex !

Such fine taste sir 👌

Back