Fife and Tayside rides thread

Any advice on psi for the plus set up?

Don’t normally ride them anywhere that rocky. Usually run 15-18 psi, but that’s for rooty forest stuff. Probably need a bit higher to stop them rimming out.
Peem is coming so you’ll have plenty of time to experiment while waiting on him catching up.

braw. Looks like kenny and OCP making it as well so should be a good days riding and banter.

swapped the Solaris back to 27.5+ and rides nice, gonna bring the 29er front as well.

weatherlooking good for all week also so all in all a promising weekend.

I've just (re)joined Retrobike, having once been a member goodness knows how many years ago; couldn't even recall my moniker! Don't have any older 'retro' bikes now, I'm afraid... hope that isn't conisidered a cardinal sin!

Any members in the East Neuk or St Andrews / Cupar area that ever hook up up for off-road rides locally or further afield?

Welcome back. I’m in Carnoustie but ride over in Fife a bit. Keithyr and OCP are Dunfermline and Kinross but we all meet up for rides.
Pitmedden is a favourite and I also quite like Tentsmuir as it dries quickly.

Always up for new trails, so if would be more than happy to meet up for a tour of your locals.

Bike not important, not many of us ride much retro these days either. There’s still a hardcore that only ride retro but in our area we’re all welcoming as long as you don’t mind a bit of banter and pl!i$$ taking.

Welcome back. I’m in Carnoustie but ride over in Fife a bit. Keithyr and OCP are Dunfermline and Kinross but we all meet up for rides.
Pitmedden is a favourite and I also quite like Tentsmuir as it dries quickly.

Always up for new trails, so if would be more than happy to meet up for a tour of your locals.

Bike not important, not many of us ride much retro these days either. There’s still a hardcore that only ride retro but in our area we’re all welcoming as long as you don’t mind a bit of banter and pl!i$$ taking.

Thanks! I'd be thoroughly offended and leave falling empty-handed if there wasn't any banter and mickey taking! 😂

I know Pitmedden well and I'd also I'd be delighted to share my local trails; we have some lovely estates nearby and I can be off-road within a few miles and then do off-road rides of 30km or so. That ride the other weekend up in Perth / Kinnoull Hill looked good; that's an area I've yet to explore.

This thread kind of died for a while due to my first born then lockdown. We’re trying to make more of an effort to get more regular. Were up at Comrie Croft today and had a great time.
Keith’s planning a gravel ride down Pitmedden way next time, would be fine on a hardtail.

Feel free to post up potential rides of your own on this thread, that’s it’s here for.

Howdo mate and welcome back.

yeah During lockdown the thread went quiet but we are trying to resurrect it and have a group ride once a month or so to fit around folks busy lives etc.

like clubby says OCP and I ride around dunfermline, Kelty, lomonds and benarty area most weekends. We’ve also a mate who stays in crook o Devon and do some cracking rides in the ochils.

yeah kinnoul was great and we will be visiting again. And would be up for a day meet around St. Andrews etc with perhaps a visit to the cheesy toast shack lol.

we did comrie croft yesterday which we couldn’t have picked a nicer day for, although the afternoon loop was actually too warm by then, welll at least for the folk on normally aspirated bikes. comrie is tough tho, your either pedalling up hill or getting battered gojng down hill on the rocky trails, an absolute blast though and good banter as usual.

clubby looking at dates for next October adventure I can do
sat or sun 16/17th
sat or sun 23/24th
sun 31st

plan is for a gravel/xc hardtail ride with the meet up at pitmedden then make our way via fire roads, land rover track and B roads across to the disused railways tunnels at glen farg which is a great experience if not done it before. Then pub lunch at the beinn inn and then back to the start. Distance is approx 25mile. I’ve got a route copied from someone’s strava so there is the opportunity to get lost with the ritual humiliation of course.

lights will be required for this one.

Last edited:
Keith, weekend of 23rd/24th looks most viable at the moment. That could change depending on family things. Just pick a day so the others can plan and hopefully I’ll still make it nearer the time.

Back