FC Parkes, but which one?

I'll count the threads tomorrow, sadly the saddle dating (if that's what it is) would be consistent with your theory. No idea what rims they were, they went in the bin a long time ago as there was nothing worth seeing. Still have the hubs but the chrome has been ruined and will need a good clean up before anything can be seen on them.

I'm getting a lockring spanner so will have a look at BB thread count as well.

Cheers!

I have a Parkes lightweight. I guess you probably know this already but FC Parkes formed the Sun bicycle company. In the earlier days, the Sun branded bikes were factory built bikes and the Parkes models were the higher end hand built ones. There isn’t a huge amount of information out there unfortunately.

The serial numbers can be used to date the frame. See here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=344162

However, I’d guess that your frame post-dates those numbers. Parkes bikes were slightly strange that they still had headclip type headsets in the 50s. There are pics on classiclightweights showing this. Yours doesn’t, so we can say it was built at least after the late 50s. I think 60s is probably correct and of that sort of time that Keith referred to, when they were getting desperate to sell bikes.

Raleigh rear ends were 5/16 inch, these have been filed out to perhaps 3/8.
Raleigh bottom bracket shell was around 70mm, the RH cup screws inside the shell, other British makes used a flanged cup in a 68mm shell. I can see the Raleigh lock ring with 4 slots.

Keith

Keith, absolutely spot on, BB is as you say, the steerer is 26tpi and the rear dropouts filed from 5/16 to 3/8.

Slightly disappointed it's not something better but still happy to have got to the bottom of it. Real test will be the weight when the cranks come off, I expect a significant reduction! Chances of it actually being EUUT?

What's the opinion on this one then? Worth preserving as is or better fitting with some modern drivetrain components and enjoying? Realise it would need to be reset but with the amount of molestation to the dropouts it's already had I'm not that bothered TBH.

If you have the bottom bracket apart you may be able to feel if the 2 main tubes have a seam weld. Also Raleigh drilled and pinned the lugs before brazing, not sure when this finished. So you might have the pins through the bracket shell.

I thought the forks looked later.

Keith

Back