Fat Chance rigid fork spec for 94 Buck Shaver

mheywoo1

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I’m going to get some rigid forks made up by my local
Frame builder for my 94 Buch Shaver.

He’s done some of the Fat Chance styled ones for some other people and they look really good, right down to Campagnolo dropouts.

My question is, does anyone know what diameter the legs should be? I know Fat Chance are famous for the BOI but I also believe that the Yo Eddy fork used a different leg diameter.

Also I’m assuming 410mm a-c but what should the rake / offset be please?

Cheers, Matt

mheywoo1":1cr6z4ly said:
I’m going to get some rigid forks made up by my local
Frame builder for my 94 Buch Shaver.

He’s done some of the Fat Chance styled ones for some other people and they look really good, right down to Campagnolo dropouts.

My question is, does anyone know what diameter the legs should be? I know Fat Chance are famous for the BOI but I also believe that the Yo Eddy fork used a different leg diameter.

Also I’m assuming 410mm a-c but what should the rake / offset be please?

Cheers, Matt

I saw Buck Shavers w/ those tange forks that had a similar crown to the Yo, non tapered but curved legs. I believe rake on the Yo forks was 1.5in. BOI A-C should be 410mm give or take. The original YO had the same rake, fatter legs and a shorter A-C. Cool project.

Re:

Cool thanks for the info.

Lee Cooper has told me today he only has 1” tube suitable for forks anyway so that is that decision made.

I’ll pop over next week to have a closer look at the ones he made for another guy to check trail etc.

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":2zpohye1 said:
Cool thanks for the info.

Lee Cooper has told me today he only has 1” tube suitable for forks anyway so that is that decision made.

I’ll pop over next week to have a closer look at the ones he made for another guy to check trail etc.

Yo´s came ou w/ the 1.5 rake when every unicrown on mtn bikes were 1.75in. Chance lenghtened the top tube, kept the head angle and shortened fork rake. Bucks have the same Yo Eddy geo so go w/ the 1.5 rake. BOIs were somewhat susp. corrected. Not much longer but some. I would bet on 410mm. The non corrected Yo was probably 395mm.

Re:

Agree with Prodigal. The A-C can go to 415mm on first Gen Sus Corrected forks like the OPs Buck. NY built Saratoga forks have an A-C of around 425mm. Looking forward to the new fork build :cool: If there is any chance Lee Cooper can take pics during the build stages and its posted on here, that would be cool. Never been a fan of the FCC licensed Tange segmented forks. They are heavy and dead feeling and just spoil the ride imo.

Re:

Hi M-Power, I knew I could rely on you to respond to this post.

So would you do 410 or 415?

I’ll ask Lee to take photos no problem. He’s a really good guy, not to mention an excellent frame builder. And his prices are very reasonable.

My Buck is the blue one that was On the eBay thread last week. I owned it briefly earlier in the year but sold it I as I also had two Yos at the time. They’ve gone now and the Buck better suits the wishbone design of my Dekerf, Bonty and Dogs.

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":3on6gt8w said:
Hi M-Power, I knew I could rely on you to respond to this post. :mrgreen:

So would you do 410 or 415?

10mm up or down changes the front angle by ~ 1deg, so if you prefer a slightly slacker angle ride go 415 A-C ( my pref tbh ) The Yo is a race bike so is set up for rapid changes of direction, so it depends on your style of riding. You should notice even the slight difference in handling feel if you tried both A-Cs. Yos are absolute precision made geometry wise.

I’ll ask Lee to take photos no problem. He’s a really good guy, not to mention an excellent frame builder. And his prices are very reasonable.

Looking forward to that thread :mrgreen:

My Buck is the blue one that was On the eBay thread last week. I owned it briefly earlier in the year but sold it I as I also had two Yos at the time. They’ve gone now and the Buck better suits the wishbone design of my Dekerf, Bonty and Dogs.

Its done the rounds a few times and deserves a stable life at its advanced age :)

MP

Re:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86330

NYMike Is probably the best authority on FATs there is, except for Chris Chance himself ;) See his posts. The BOI was first developed in 92 for the 10th Anni, hence not being sus corrected. I have owned 23 FATs myself so have some idea. 410-415mm A-C ( + 20-25mm over 390/5 non sus fork ) is correct for the OPs build. Remember early sus forks didnt have much travel. Much deviation either way will affect handling BUT if you can find it CK or Cane Creek did crown race 5-10mm spacers, you can experiment. I have used them to fine tune handling and they work amazingly well.

No FAT FIGHTs :LOL:

Attachments

• E89560D3-8FAA-4A4D-85F6-13A1F54B3D2E.jpeg
    E89560D3-8FAA-4A4D-85F6-13A1F54B3D2E.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 321
Re:

Thanks for directing me to that thread, MP.

Based on what I’ve read, and personal preference, I think I going 1” tube, 410 a-c, 38mm rake, Campy dropouts and threaded steerer.

Did the BOI fork have any decals on it at all, other than the one just above the drop out? I’m wondering if there is anything that should go on the top of the blades like the Yo Eddy decal.

I’m undecided whether to get the fork colour matched to the frame or just black gloss. I think it will largely come down to cost as I think both options will look good for the simple black and silver build theme (either silver TNT hubs, cranks and S’post or Middleburn hubs, cranks, Ti post and bars with black stem, black CK 2-nut, black mavic 517’s, black flite, M900). I’ve mocked it up with the Middleburn kit, silver RC30’s with 420 a-c and it’s screaming “ride me”

Back