Fat Chance rigid fork spec for 94 Buck Shaver

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":2m7fzc03 said:
Thanks for directing me to that thread, MP.

Based on what I’ve read, and personal preference, I think I going 1” tube, 410 a-c, 38mm rake, Campy dropouts and threaded steerer.

Sure you have poured over the 94 Calatogue and compared detailed
specs between models. The Buck geo and ride is closer to a Yo but more forgiving. Your BOI fork would compliment the frame far better than the aweful heavy feel less Tange version for sure. If you can get it opt for thin walled butted BOI fork blades like the factory originals. They are not only lighter but ride amazingly.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/2171-4/1994.pdf

Did the BOI fork have any decals on it at all, other than the one just above the drop out? I’m wondering if there is anything that should go on the top of the blades like the Yo Eddy decal.

They had the Spec/Patent decals at the top or bottom. They get scraped at the bottom though. Putting mini YEs or a star on top of the fork blades has been a thing of course. I like it :)

I’m undecided whether to get the fork colour matched to the frame or just black gloss.

Repainting frames isnt cheap but imo if you are going to the expense of shipping them back and forth etc, its worth going all in and matching it all. You will be glad you did. If you have painting skills why not give it a go yourself thoigh ? Plenty if how-to vids on YT. Had amazing results myself when you put the prep in first and take your time building up the layers. If you dont like the result you can always get it done Prof later.

I think it will largely come down to cost as I think both options will look good for the simple black and silver build theme (either silver TNT hubs, cranks and S’post or Middleburn hubs, cranks, Ti post and bars with black stem, black CK 2-nut, black mavic 517’s, black flite, M900). I’ve mocked it up with the Middleburn kit, silver RC30’s with 420 a-c and it’s screaming “ride me”

FATs are all about the ride :)

MP.

Re:

The BOI fork pictured on the Ti frame looks to be threaded so contradicts the info mikenyc got from Fat City Cycles that all BOIs were threadless. It didn’t ring true when I read it anyway as the aheadset was not around in ‘92 (although Pace may have been using their inverted home brew version of the concept back then?)

Color match on a vintage mtb frame w/ wild paint like Fat Chance is a tricky proposition. In theory it´s the best option.

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":2jazm0fk said:
The BOI fork pictured on the Ti frame looks to be threaded so contradicts the info mikenyc got from Fat City Cycles that all BOIs were threadless. It didn’t ring true when I read it anyway as the aheadset was not around in ‘92 (although Pace may have been using their inverted home brew version of the concept back then?)

Yeah, i picked that up too. 10th Anni BOI ( non sus corrected ) steerers are typically threaded. I have an ex factory team Ti race bike BOI from
93 which is sus corrected but thread less and the one on my 93 Yo is threaded. It was prolly down to customer pref and not something to get too hung up on. Segmented forks can make you demented :LOL: Everybody copies the design now and its become a thing again.

Looking forward to the big reveal thread when its done :mrgreen:

Back