Fat Chance Kickstarter

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":q44jo86q said:
I could be wrong but the impression I got was that this first run would be built by him to some extent then if it works out a cheaper run would come later, probably built by someone else?

According to the kickstarter the first batch is 250 frames to be built by August 2015. If he started on the first of Jan and didn't take a day off until the end of August he'd have to make more than one a day.

I'd say that's impossible for any builder, let alone one who's not built a thing in 15 years

pete_mcc":1z1rpyx1 said:
brocklanders023":1z1rpyx1 said:
I could be wrong but the impression I got was that this first run would be built by him to some extent then if it works out a cheaper run would come later, probably built by someone else?

According to the kickstarter the first batch is 250 frames to be built by August 2015. If he started on the first of Jan and didn't take a day off until the end of August he'd have to make more than one a day.

I'd say that's impossible for any builder, let alone one who's not built a thing in 15 years

Spot on.
This is a massive scam imo, rinsing people who are looking through rose tinted glasses.
I can see this ending up tainting his name for years to come if it's not done properly

I can't see any way in which it is a scam, in the traditional sense. He is not clear on the details, so anyone dropping on them so far is doing so speculatively, on the promise of very little really. They are hardly being strong armed. Let's see what transpires if his total is met.

Not a scam, just a business short of capital imho. And if you can create a customer base in this way, I think Ladbrokes would call it a sure thing.

Re:

When I say scam, I don't mean of the illegal kind, just that it looks to be trying to raise funds against something pretty flimsy.
I would, however, be very wary about investing such a large amount of money into something that may come unstuck.
What happens if they fall short of the funds needed, or start making frames then fold due to lack of funding?
There are plenty of amazing frame-builders out there who will build you a fantastic frame 100% themselves, and for a lot less money.
To quote Topgear...there's a whole lot of badge going on here

I think many people in the Retrobike community are a little torn on this topic. On the one hand they like Chris Chance and would like to see him succeed, on the other hand whatever info has been released so far, seems pretty sketchy. Maybe he overreached himself? I'm looking at builders like Steve Potts and FTW who still hold the torch to this day and still make their own frames, just in very small batches that are really custom ordered. I think setting up shop for such an operation would be a lot cheaper than gearing up for mass production. Maybe starting quiet, small, with custom orders, and then going more mainstream might be a more feasible strategy?

pete_mcc said:
The alternative is to buy a full custom IF steel deluxe (made by ex-fat builders) and a set of Igleheart (ex Fat Chance) forks and not only will you have change from the $2500 starting price but you'll also have a bike with far more Fat Chance heritage than this clusterf*ck of a relaunch bike will ever have (and you'll have after sales cover which you won't have with this after the company disappears again).

I honestly can't believe that anyone is laying that amount of money on a bike that:
1) has no confirmed design other than a photoshopped vintage yo
2) has no confirmed builder
3) has no confirmed spec other than 'custom drawn tubing' and 'trail geometry'
4) is not custom sized or built to individuals needs
5) has gone from a grand relaunch to a lame kickstarter

I'm a big fat chance fan but this is just pissing on the grave of a great memory

e6a64328.jpg

I quote every syllable

Re:

Afaik all the ex FCC employees have long gone from IF. No question starting up and running this new venture is a great risk. He was pretty successful before in terms of producing ~ 20000 amazing bike frames/forks and a cult following. He's a highly intelligent chap and wise, having learned from previous mistakes. He's not out to get super rich but more likely do what he really loves and thrives doing, which is ultimately building great handling innovative bikes. Sure some may have to wait for the latter frames but that's no different than waiting many months or even years for a new segmented fork build or an Aquafade respray by a master painter :LOL:

Re:

I think if he pulls it off, it will be a new one for the bicycle trade.....lol.

Attachments

• blofeld_and_dr_evil.jpg
    blofeld_and_dr_evil.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 417
I would have expected the new Fat Chance to exhibit here: http://www.2015.handmadebicycleshow.com/exhibitors/ as it's by far their best opportunity anywhere in the world for exposure, etc.

It's still about 2 months away... so it could happen I guess. Also interesting to see if the new Fat Chance will meet the (rather strict) criteria for exhibition:

FRAME BUILDERS: DISPLAY ONLY WHAT YOU HAVE BUILT IN YOUR WORKSHOP.
No bicycles are permitted in any frame builder’s booth other than those built by the exhibitor, and if branded, bearing the exhibitor’s brand.
No sub-contracted bicycles are permitted. Not even those by a current-year NAHBS exhibitor.
No racing team bicycles, except those made by a current-year exhibitor which may be displayed in that exhibitor’s booth.

Back