Fat Chance 1992 Yo Eddy Rebuild

chrisv40":364hklnw said:
If this is as good a read as the Marin I'll be a happy man!

Does it need repainting it looks mint in the pics?

I guess in some ways it will be better and in some ways worse than the BV build ... All dependent on your outlook ;-)

In some respects it doesn’t need painting, in most places it’s actually very good – just a few odd chips and scuffs etc.

I have yet to give it a full check over and note all the bits I want to do but the main one is to replace the seat tube. It’s currently got a replacement fillet brazed item in there and I want to go back to a welded version.

There are some small dints under one of the seat stays that I will silver solder before the repaint.

The rest of my plans are a bit fluid at the moment but I will post on here as soon as I have 100% decided … :D

WD :D

Not sure of the colour sorry – its defo a repaint but that’s not to say that it wasn’t an original colour to start with, I think fat would paint them however you wanted ?

Well this is my understanding of the parts I have so far, if any of the FAT gurus know any different, please chime in and add or correct info accordingly !

The frame is a 1992 Massachusetts made medium :

At some point it has had the seat tube replaced (rumoured to be by a UK frame builder) with a fillet brazed item.

I believe this frame to be a non suspension corrected version which would have had a 15.5" / 393.7mm (info from Rody) A to C fork.

The fork should have been a segmented 1.125" / 28.6mm diameter legged version with 1.57" / 39.9mm or 6 degrees rake (info from Rody).

The fork I have is not the original … :( but it is made from titanium :cool: To most people it will look similar but it does have differences.

The tops of the legs are angled rather then being cut square. The legs are angled at 5 degrees, although this was only checked with the iPhone – I will check with my camber gauge next time it’s out :)

It does have the correct A to C measurement, the correct leg diameters, it’s very light (698g with canti studs and 255mm steerer) and has a nice touch – the bottom of the steerer tube is blanked off to stop it filling with crud.

Well I have made my mind up on a plan for the frame and fork :D

I know it wont be to everyone’s taste (that’s never bothered me in the past … :LOL:), but the build will be done properly with no corners cut and no hidden bodges etc :D

Frame :

Paint strip where necessary.
Remove canti mounts.
Remove canti bridge.
Partly remove cable guides.
Silver solder dints.
Add rear brake pipe guides.
Dress sharp edges / chain suck etc.
Add chain stay anti chain suck bosses.

Replace seat tube.
Add slot strengthener.
Position clamp slot in front.
No seat clamp tag.
Add seat tube bottle bosses.
Add front mech roller boss.
Add disk mount.
Add disk mount brace.
Repaint with new decals.

Fork :

Paint strip.
Remove canti bosses.
Dress sharp edges.

Add disk mount.
Add front brake pipe guide.
Repaint with new decals.

I can do the things in blue myself, the rest will be left to the frame builder.

Time and money dependant, I might build myself one of those Frankenstein forks (Judy XC & SID) and get the legs and crown painted at the same time.

Component choice is still a bit fluid at the moment :D

Thank you :D Should I single speed it to ... ? :LOL:

I just had to do a few bits on it ...

I haven't seen canti bosses like this before :

Replaceable studs with a imperial thread :

The forks were 'thick' black :

But the paint stripper soon sorted that :LOL: They are quite nicely made :

I dont think they had been blasted (or only very lightly) so they stripped quite easily and left a better finish than I was expecting :

They also donated some Ti bosses for my spares box :

I dont think these have ever had a wheel in them ? :

Adding disc brake tabs and shaving canti hangers to a 92 Yo Eddy. Bike officially ruined.

I never understood this. Just get a modern bike.

Back