Ever Ready

I went with the dynamo option - even off-road. Once a bunch of us got caught out in a forest near Beddgelert and had to navigate down this technical (for back in the 90s) downhill with only my dynamo to shine the way as it was getting dark. I was going so slow, the light was barely pulsing - but we managed it.

Much earlier than that, I had an all metal light which when I rode over a bump fairly exploded into bits of light and batteries.

I used to ride with those sets of lights, no helmet, wearing my Walkman, listening to ACDC riding like a lunatic 😃

Didn't seem dangerous at the time 😬

How we loved them though! Considered an 'essential' item, keeping you safe but the brackets side-swiped everything and everybody you passed. Hehe, those were the days.

How we loved them though! Considered an 'essential' item, keeping you safe but the brackets side-swiped everything and everybody you passed. Hehe, those were the days.

Don't forget spending a fortune turning your bike into a svelte race machine, only to add on these boat anchors 😅

The handlebar mount worked better on the seat post for the rear light - obviously dependant on the size of the bicycle and which stage of the "don't worry, he'll grow into it' that the occupant was at.

If you were super cool / sad (delete as appropriate), you ran two front lights

If you were the socially awkward lanky teenager who liked to tinker and bodge (now a well known firm of solicitors), you found that 4x AA cell battery holder fitted neatly in place of the D cells and you could run the then 'new' krypton or halogen bulbs at 6 or 12v

Then, being that socially awkward lanky teenager, you could go night riding to your hearts content and experience some of the best times on a bicycle especially when it came to thunderstorm season

1/4 mile beam anyone?

I had a Yukon that had yellow Ever Ready at the back and red at the front.
It was stolen after a few months.
Had these Ever ready lights for a few years, needed them for paper round in the winter.
Then around 1994 I got some Cateye lights.
Still have the front light but no bracket.

I remember having those Ever-Ready lights and try as I might I can't seem to forget them! All those D-cell batteries which lasted about a week and weighed a ton! I 'progressed' to a pair of Cateye lights
which I think I may still have but I don't want to look for them because I'm afraid I might find them!

Still have the spare brackets for mine....came across them the other day. God knows how many i smashed as they bounced out the clip whilst bunnying a kerb!

I agree with lgf.....deffo front clamp on seat post....stops them going into the wheels!

Oh 1991.....how i miss thee

Attachments

• 20191013_084459.jpg
    20191013_084459.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 15
Back