English Range Rider

Modern Bruce Gordon Rock'n'Road 650x42B tyres (Nokia Hakkapeliitta copies), could also be used to complete the original look your early Range-Rider. Unfortunately the wider Nokian 650x52

Looks like they do 48mm RnR in both 622/700C and 584/650B, so a little closer to fatter version of the Nokian

All the best,

Looks like they do 48mm RnR in both 622/700C and 584/650B, so a little closer to fatter version of the Nokian

All the best,
Thanks for that Dan, I have been hoping that Bruce Gordon would produce a fatter version of their original Rock 'n Road.

Now we'll just have to wait until they arrive in the UK at a more reasonable price! 48mm should be a great fit for the Cleland Aventura and English Range-rider

Hi Graham, a scan of the head badge would be really useful.

I have someone who can rebuild them pretty much from scratch.
Font etc shouldn't be a problem, and the elephant is clear and undamaged, but what is the little graphic on the side? My brain is not parsing it as anything.

View attachment 831596

All the best,
Hi Dan, I have emailed you some scans of the 'Made By English' head badge and some photos the Metro Trekker logo used on my bike.

Geoff Apps says that the little graphic image he used doesn't represent anything in particular. It's just a decorative natural form similar to those used by arts & craft printers to fill in the gaps on wood block prints.

Cheers,
Graham

OK, quick update.🙂

Frame is currently with Lucy at IndiBike to reproduce the decals.
Also a spare set and a few sets of Metro Trekker ones for @GrahamJohnWallace.

Much of the geartrain was newer replacements, so we're going with period correct Suntour & SR/Sakae to match the Suntour thumbshifters, pedals, cassette and spoke guard, rather than Huret/Simplex.

Looking for lightly used presentation, decent but not mint/NOS, I have sourced:

1x LH Suntour Mighty thumbshifter.
Replaces the current, which has a damaged cover and so no outer cable retainer.
Confusingly, the thumbshifters are mounted on the wrong sides L/R. Perhaps to position the lever further back...or just a mistake?

IMG_20240526_131547.jpg

1x Suntour Mountech rear derailleur.
ZH date code, so Sept 1983. I always liked the internal cable routing, and the open jockey wheel cage...unhitch the chain without tools.

IMG_20240526_132022_1.jpg

1x Suntour Mountech front derailleur.
ZE code, May 1983, 28.6mm clamp, bottom pull, including the integrated outer cable stop.

IMG_20240526_132104.jpg IMG_20240526_132056_1.jpg

1x Sakae CR triple chainset.
1984, 170mm, 46/40/28 half-step. Nice low outer ring for the time, and original bolt covers. I'll work out the BB lengths etc later.

IMG_20240526_132135_1.jpg

Pair of lightly used Fuan 8 grips.
Some wear and tear, but better condition, and much more red, than the faded old ones.

IMG_20240526_131748.jpg

1 pair new Bruce Gordon Rock'n'road tyres.
650B 48x584, pretty good stand-in for the original Hakkapelittas (...and also got a pair for my Highpath 🙂).

IMG_20240526_132815.jpg

Red suede Selle Royal saddle.
Cushy and short-nosed. Just need a refresh and some re-gluing around the edges where the contact adhesive has gone brittle.

IMG_20240526_131900_1.jpg IMG_20240526_131921.jpg

Repro 531 decals:

IMG_20240526_132402_1.jpg

Red cable outers on order.
Yet to source a 26.8mm SR Laprade fluted seatpost, but they're not rare.

Once Lucy has done with the decals, I'll strip the old paint and get a better steer on the way ahead for the chainstay repair.

All the best,

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there's any decent way to repair the rear Bluemels guard.
They are the ones with an aluminium core sandwiched inside a plastic surround, like SKS/ESGE 'Chromoplastic' ones.

They'll clean up fine, and the bent areas can be eased back, but the crack will need closing up and some sort of internal plate fitting to the underside, perhaps?

I read that the ESGE ones were made from cellulose acetate butyrate, so need a cellulose solvent adhesive...

IMG_20240526_132855.jpg

Any experience on this?
All the best,

Last edited:
OK, quick update.🙂

Frame is currently with Lucy at IndiBike to reproduce the decals.
Also a spare set and a few sets of Metro Trekker ones for @GrahamJohnWallace.

Much of the geartrain was newer replacements, so we're going with period correct Suntour & SR/Sakae to match the Suntour thumbshifters, pedals, cassette and spoke guard, rather than Huret/Simplex.

Looking for lightly used presentation, decent but not mint/NOS, I have sourced:

1x LH Suntour Mighty thumbshifter.
Replaces the current, which has a damaged cover and so no outer cable retainer.
Confusingly, the thumbshifters are mounted on the wrong sides L/R. Perhaps to position the lever further back...or just a mistake?

View attachment 852962

1x Suntour Mountech rear derailleur.
ZH date code, so Sept 1983. I always liked the internal cable routing, and the open jockey wheel cage...unhitch the chain without tools.

View attachment 852963

1x Suntour Mountech front derailleur.
ZE code, May 1983, 28.6mm clamp, bottom pull, including the integrated outer cable stop.

View attachment 852964View attachment 852965

1x Sakae CR triple chainset.
1984, 170mm, 46/40/28 half-step. Nice low outer ring for the time, and original bolt covers. I'll work out the BB lengths etc later.

View attachment 852966

Pair of lightly used Fuan 8 grips.
Some wear and tear, but better condition, and much more red, than the faded old ones.

View attachment 852967

1 pair new Bruce Gordon Rock'n'road tyres.
650B 48x584, pretty good stand-in for the original Hakkapelittas (...and also got a pair for my Highpath 🙂).

View attachment 852968

Red suede Selle Royal saddle.
Cushy and short-nosed. Just need a refresh and some re-gluing around the edges where the contact adhesive has gone brittle.

View attachment 852969View attachment 852970

Repro 531 decals:

View attachment 852971

Red cable outers on order.
Yet to source a 26.8mm SR Laprade fluted seatpost, but they're not rare.

Once Lucy has done with the decals, I'll strip the old paint and get a better steer on the way ahead for the chainstay repair.

All the best,
Hi Dan! Now I’m all excited again! Great seeing pictures and you’ve found new red handlebar grips which I love! It would be great to fix that rear mudguard as you suggest… it’s such a great bike to ride and it’s going to look great and back to its former glory! Many thanks! Peter

Back