electric van and when to make the change?

Re:

Turning into a bit of a popcorn thread now. Sure the tech and affordability will come in time but not in 9yrs ! Fusion reactors, cheap sustainable more energy efficient EVs with lower maintenance costs etc will come in time. Prob is infrastructure is not set up for it. Fine if you live in a semi/detached with offstreet parking and can afford 8k for a fast charger but most people park on streets etc As has been said the costs to drive large mileages will probably go up too much forcing many people into a stay at home existence on UC or they move to cities. Cities will be surrounded by mega shopping centres with charging ports and will become even more of an event destination. Everything else prob delivered by robot/AV/drones. Will we all be kicking back on UC as robots/AI pick up the slack ? Most will be off their heads on some stimulant to kill the boredom or working out 7 days a week.

Call me a luddite but im glad i lived when i did tbh.

Re: Re:

This is a very strange post, but I've replied inline.

torqueless":xmmpjgf1 said:
Yeah but would you be happy to relinquish the personal high-speed vehicle if you could live in a world so arranged that your economic viability no longer depended on it? Yep. I'm actually trying to move my life in that direction.

Or do you consider it to be your God-given right to zoom anywhere the transport infrastructure will allow? I'm agnostic, but to answer the crux of your question; I'd expect to have the same right as everyone else.

And is the personal high-speed vehicle a status symbol for you, in the sense that you would resent others having access to it while you were denied it? Not a status symbol at all, more a tool. I would only resent it if the access was not allocated fairly, including socioeconomic status.

Re: Re:

torqueless":g2v583hq said:
Do you 'like cars' sufficiently that you would have no objection to living at close quarters to a six-lane highway? (assuming you don't already)

Mate, I live in a town miles from a motorway or a city, surrounded by hills. No I don't want to live by a motorway but since it has taken over ten years for the powers that be to even agree that a short section of the road I commute needs re-routing, let alone stick a spade in the ground I can't imagine they will be building a motorway between Skipton and Harrogate (or Skipton and anywhere else!) before I retire or ever.

I´ve installed a couple of 7kw chargers for the company cars. We´ve had a couple of problems where one of the cars has stopped charging. We don´t know if it´s the car or the charger.
I´ve heard a few horror stories where people can´t find a working charger at motorway services, and when you book one they also turn out to be broken.
It´s not for me, no chance. Getting 3 kids ready and planning what they are eating, wearing etc and then you have to plan charging with the risk that you won´t be able to on a long journey.

Attachments

• Damn-Ugly-Lil-Electric-Car.2.png
    Damn-Ugly-Lil-Electric-Car.2.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 289

Latest posts

Back