Educating Peachy – Shimano 7 speed cassette identification..

legrandefromage":197mlccq said:
Could be a manufacturer location or something or maybe just a big letter to muse upon 30 years later

Hmmmmm........

Re:

I think that is the grouping, so you know which cogs go together.

You can tell the dull from the shiney chrome quite easily, just check my dull one.

every cog is made the same, it's just the finish that changes.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1y3603t4 said:
I think that is the grouping, so you know which cogs go together.

You can tell the dull from the shiney chrome quite easily, just check my dull one.

every cog is made the same, it's just the finish that changes.

Cheers FC.... I think I’m going to pick the best HG-70 as I’m planning a DX build..

As for the chromed HG90’s they’re spending the night in some rust treatment..

Can I just check something though... was the bolting together system reserved for the HG90’s & 70’s only?
In other words, if it’s riveted, it’s HG50 or lower? (With the XTR being the exception)

Re:

XTR (mostly) fell apart by themselves when that eventually came out and the XT was rapidly moved to the same system when compact came out but using a method that didn't fall apart (11tooth) ;-)
as for the bolts
I think so, we would grind/hit the tops off to separate the cogs or replacing warm one or going "modded to 8 speed".
The bolts are just for convenience, you didn't need them. it may help a little bit from individual movement but Shimano freehub bodies are tough.

ah.. found the bikepro link
http://www.bikepro.com/products/freewhe ... mcass.html

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":228zr29u said:
XTR (mostly) fell apart by themselves when that eventually came out and the XT was rapidly moved to the same system when compact came out but using a method that didn't fall apart (11tooth) ;-)
as for the bolts
I think so, we would grind/hit the tops off to separate the cogs or replacing warm one or going "modded to 8 speed".
The bolts are just for convenience, you didn't need them. it may help a little bit from individual movement but Shimano freehub bodies are tough.

ah.. found the bikepro link
http://www.bikepro.com/products/freewhe ... mcass.html

Cheers Fluff, that made my coffee break :D

Right, after a nights deep bath in a rust converter and a scrub up this morning, I’m keeping the ‘88 HG70, ‘89 HG90 & the ‘90 HG70 (1,2 & 3)

That leaves a ‘91 HG50 & a ‘94 HG90 up for grabs, just want the price of a pint & postage...

Now just soaking in oil....

Attachments

• 190DAC18-611D-4711-8032-0A821E2824B3.jpeg
    190DAC18-611D-4711-8032-0A821E2824B3.jpeg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 79
Back