Early Saracen Mountainbike

so, you are the gentleman who beat me lol

glad you got it and like it dude, bit too far for me to travel tbh, glad its here tho. stick some proper tyres on, tweek it and ride it :cool:

bloody good price that ;)

longun":3n7fa151 said:
glad you got it and like it dude, bit too far for me to travel tbh, glad its here tho. stick some proper tyres on, tweek it and ride it :cool:

I wouldn't have travelled (Warrington to Birkenhead) had I known the journey and difficulty finding it, scary place too :(

Still... its here now :D

Here's a better shot of the 87 Tufftrax for reference:

saracen4_108.jpg

drcarlos":1jsf4ech said:
Paul,

do you have a higher res copy of that catalogue? My Kili is the colour in the small pic and it would be nice to have a high res copy to see what it's called.

Carl.

Should be able to sort that out for you.
Send me a PM with your email address.

The bike I have does not have any QR either on the seat post or wheels. They may have been changed over.

Can someone help with the following before I start buying parts that dont fit:

*Can you recommend decent brake blocks for the U-Brake and Cantis
*Will a "modern" rack fit on this bike, it seems to have all the mounts, I am pretty sure it would be fine
*Are the wheels worth keeping long term, one is off true, I would prefer something lighter and faster - if putting on replacement wheels (New or Retro) is there any thing I need to consider -widths etc
*I want to degrease and clean the bike with parts in situ, any recommendations for products to use - mechanically its sounds, but quite a lot of crud on the chain/gears/sprockets
*Will also be adding new pedals, grips and cable outers, what colour will work with the orange :cool:

Thanks

Funky brake pads, cool retro pedals, matching grips, best quality/value for money cables (well, the ones I use anyway...), colour choice is up to you but I'd stick with black.

Rack should fit okay, wheel wise these represent excellent value for money if they don't go too high, otherwise something like these would be more than adequate even if they do take a screw on freewheel rather than a cassette...

...or you can scour the ad's on here :cool:

For cleaning I use a bowl of hot soapy water (washing up liquid is best) and a variety of brushes; saves on fancy proprietary cleaning solutions...

...or a jar of petrol and a 2" paint brush, but then again I don't smoke! ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Steveo those first set of wheels doubt they would fit axle width will prolly be to great for the frame. My 93 race elite is set to 130 on the rear. Most modern stuff is way to wide to just drop in, especially as that set can be 9 speed.

So buy one of these, it's probably only 5mm difference... ;)

The difference is usually in the 'dish' rather than axle width mind...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
We_are_Stevo":39cwkb28 said:
So buy one of these, it's probably only 5mm difference... ;)
Always thought chest expanders oddly named.

Use them as described / intended, and the focus is actually on the opposite area of your body (rear of your shoulders) and your chest would merely get a bit of stretch and maybe ever-so-slight eccentric contraction.

I suppose if you had the springy bit running around your back, with your arms straight, then tried to bring them together (sort of the opposite to how most people use "chest expanders") it would affect the chest - but then the springs would grab all your monkey fur on your back...

We_are_Stevo":duk8rtxe said:
Rack should fit okay, wheel wise these represent excellent value for money if they don't go too high, otherwise something like these would be more than adequate even if they do take a screw on freewheel rather than a cassette...
Wheel wise I'd recommend these slightly more expensive, but buy-it-now, decent rims and decent hubs, with skewers.

Have had a couple of pairs, recently - might not necessarily be 238s, my first set were, second set were X222s, but both with the same hubs.

If you grasp your fingers together in front of your chest and pull in opposite directions and hold it for 10 seconds (isometrics) you'll feel how it works on the main muscle groups - chest, shoulders, back, upper arms... ;)

Back