Early 90's Aluminium mystery bike..SCOTT??

Mikey08

Kona Fan
Hi all.

A mate picked this up at the tip for me recently. Knowing I like retro mtb's as soon as he spotted the purple rims he grabbed it. Trouble is, i have no idea what make it is...

I initially thought Marin, but rear mech cable routing is different. Dont think its a Orange, down tube too fat. Can also rule out Merlin UK as i emailed them pics and frame number and they say its not one of theirs. This leaves me a bit stuffed. I allyays more into steel frames and still am so my knowledge of mid 90's alu is limited. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Photo0206.jpg
    Photo0206.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Photo0207.jpg
    Photo0207.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 419
  • Photo0208.jpg
    Photo0208.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 414
Re:

Did a quick google search for "mid 90's Aluminium Mtb" and came across a picture of a 1994 Scott Super American. Frame looks identical to the last detail. But components are better on the Super American. Is this a mid 90' Scott i have sat here in my kitchen?

Re:

Had similar identification problems with a bike I used to have with a very similar frame. At first we thought it was a Scott but it was eventually decided to be a Muddy Fox Alu Pro 1989. With this one I'm thinking more likely Scott.

Re:

Cheers for that fellas. Im not sure whether to sell this on or make a gravel bike project with it... 650b wheels, 1 x 11 gears, disk brakes, drop bars... Either way would be nice to know 100% what it is!

Re:

Make a gravel bike with it with the original 26er wheels. Might just be me but I see no advantage of 650b over 26er for gravel?

Seconding that, would consider whether customizing aluminium frame for disc brakes is worth it (in my opinion definitely not).

Re:

I reckon it could be done as the dropout is meaty enough to fab a disk tab from some ally plate, drill 2 holds in the dropout and bolt it on. Kinda like the old Marin Mount Vision had. To be honest though this frame is too big for me plus i have 2 other project bikes. Its that itch to do something cool with it thats got me pondering yet another project though!

Hi Mikey, what was the frame number on this one please? Probably possible to both date it and work out what factory produced it.

Back