Durham Framebuilder in the 90s ?

😁 Brilliant.

I was mountain biking in the 80s & 90s but my bank balance didn't even allow me to look at custom built frames, so my knowledge isnt great 😂

A lad I know worked for Donohue's & set up briefly on his own - Graeme Tutin. He's out of the industry now:

Edit: I've sent him the pic & asked if he was involved.
I think that I have one of his frames.
I wouldnt want you to bombard him with requests for frame ID's but if he is interested I would love to know more about mine.

Graeme Tutin 04.JPG Graeme Tutin 08.JPG Graeme Tutin 06.JPG Graeme Tutin 10.JPG

That's a lovely looking frame! Says it looks like one of his. He was one of the first to add Crud Catcher bosses. Definitely his head tube logo. What's the frame number?

Coincidently, the husband of another friend of ours is the son of Norman Fay, another (road) bike builder from the North East.

Its full Sachs Quarz groupset & campag wheels (not currently on the bike)
Some more info Graeme passed on - he did a deal with Sachs as they were trying to get into the MTB market at the time. He used to spec Campag rims as they were light so possibly original. The carbon Ballistic forks were original spec too. The Ace team were also sponsored by Been Bag.

If he was making frames now I'd be a customer - they look great!

Thanks RWM, that checks out - the second set of rims which came with the bike were Campag Kilimangiaro with Sachs hubs.

I'm not sure what Been Bag is?

He's pretty certain it was a mid range Columbus as Ace wanted a quality bike that was affordable. He used Columbus Max on other models. He was just a lad of 20/21 when he made these. Hats off to him!

That's a lovely looking frame! Says it looks like one of his. He was one of the first to add Crud Catcher bosses. Definitely his head tube logo. What's the frame number?

Coincidently, the husband of another friend of ours is the son of Norman Fay, another (road) bike builder from the North East.
No frame number visible at the moment but I dont think that the paint is origional so it could be hiding somewhere. Dropouts look to be the same as the ACE frame.

Would Graeme be willing to post (or have posted) a bio and or timeline? I find the links between a lot of the British builders fascinating. Tom Bromwich, McIlwaine, Lee Cooper, LA cycles, Sirius, Orbit, Andy Thompson, Zinn etc (not necessarily in that order but all I think linked throughout the years).

Back